My aunt had symptoms that her uterus was enlarged, she experienced pelvic pain and heavy and abnormal menstrual bleeding. Pain that she experienced was severe cramping so she decided to visit gynecologist. He diagnosed her with adenomyosis. I would like to know more about this problem. Can you tell me what adenomyosis is actually? I would really like to understand her problem, but I need help about this.

I guess your aunt noticed how her periods are very heavy and prolonged, with passage of clots. All those are typical symptoms of adenomyosis. Problem is that heavy bleeding may lead to anemia. The most important thing about adenomyosis you should know is that is the penetration and growth of endometrial tissue from the uterine lining into the myometrium, or uterine muscle. This disease is known as internal endometriosis, and it may coexist with external endometriosis. The abnormally located endometrial tissue, like the normal endometrium, tends to bleed with the menses because it depends on hormone levels. The blood and debris may accumulate in these misplaced glands creating small fluid collections inside uterine wall. This penetrating and functioning endometrial tissue may lead to swelling, so uterus may become larger. Adenomyosis may present as a diffuse condition or it may be focal and latter, there are local areas of swelling, so-called adenomyomas. Most commonly, adenomyosis is mistaken for another common condition, or uterine fibroids, although there is a fundamental difference between them.