I would like to know more about adenomyosis. My sister was diagnosed with it and now I am worried about her. Is this condition dangerous? What is the best treatment?

Growth of endometrial tissue from the uterine lining into the myometrium is called adenomyosis. The abnormally located endometrial tissue tends to bleed with the menses and the blood and debris can accumulate in these misplaced glands. This creates small fluid collections inside the uterine wall which leads to swelling. Because of this the uterus can become larger and globular. Adenomyosis can be presented as a diffuse condition or it can be focal that has local areas of swelling, called adenomyomas. They can mimic other uterine masses. Adenomyosis can be present and cause no symptoms. However, when the symptoms are present the typical triad is uterine enlargement, pelvic pain and heavy and abnormal menstrual bleeding. The only effective treatment for adenomyosis is hysterectomy. I hope that your sister will be ok.

A hysterectomy is NOT your only option of treatment. My Dr. has successfully treated this condition by utilizing hormone therapy. Please check for another opinion. My Dr. is Patricia Rodrigues in Seattle, WA.

Treatment options other than hysterectomy are available. Hormone therapy is frequently utilized successfully. Oral progesterone or an IUD that releases progesterone slowly over a five year time period. Make sure you check in with another opinion. There are non-surgical solutions.

i have adenomyosis and i am 23 and have never had a baby, and yet i still have it. my doc started me on the oral progesterone pills (i was on the shot but gained 10 pounds in the first week on it). now i have been on the meds for at least 6 months now, and the swelling has not decreased at all. my doc checks on me every 3 months and there has been no change. he told me that the only real cures for adenomyosis is have a baby or remove the uterus. he is going to go in and scrape the lining of my uterus. that is all that can be done. if your sister is going to go on the progesterone, warn her that she will gain a lot o weight on it. more than on any other birth control, at least this is the case with me. my doc pretty much told me have a baby with in the next year or get it removed, or deal with it because there really isnt much else that can be done. im sorry for your sister, its not fun and can be painful at times, but ive asked my doc and he said that it is not life threatening. its just really really annoying...