I had a tubal ligation in 1997, experienced heavy and prolonged periods with cramping that interfered with activities of daily living. I had a balloon thermal uterine ablation which was very successful, no cramping and only spotting every 1-2 months. Over time, periods have become increasingly heavy, and for the last 2-3 months, have been very heavy(no clots) and cramping has recurred. I wonder if I may have developed adenomyosis, or if I might have had it prior to the ablation. I wonder if pregnancy could occur if the endometrial lining is regrowing, (I know tubal ligation can not be 100 % effective). I have read several articles stating that pregnancy can not occur after ablation, and a few that say it is possible and that birth control should be used after ablation. I have not used any birth control except for the tubal ligation. Please respond with any info available.

I am also in the same boat, after an extremely heavy period, I have decided to have what is known as a Uterine Fibroid Ablation, now I have been recently diagnoised with adenomyosis. Im reading so many stories I dont know what to do? :( :( :( can anyone give me any answeres.

Guest wrote:

You probably have a fibroid in the lining of the uterus which has caused the heavy bleeding. Adenomyosis is endometriosis that is caught in the myometrium (muscle part) of the uterus and diagnosed after hysterectomy. Since adenomyosis is trapped and cant be expelled into the vagina as a period, the tissue causes a lot of cramping from the swelling of the endometrial tissue. Pregnancy can occur after ablation but it is very rare. Both tubal ligation and ablation are benign in comparison to a hysterectomy but the pain may not subside until the adenomyosis is removed at hysterectomy. It will resolve at menopause.