Hi, I‘ve been having some strange symptoms lately, like flooding and extremely painfull cramps, so I went to a doctor. He told me that my uterus was enlarged, and that I probably have adenomyosis or leiomyoma. I don’t know yet which one do I have, but I’m wondering anyway what are these conditions like, and how are they treated?

Hello, adenomyosis and leiomyoma are conditions of the enlarged uterus, and it is sometimes hard to see a difference between them. That’s why your doctor will probably send you to magnetic resonance (MR) or ultrasound (US). As I heard, MR is better in differentiation of adenomyosis from leiomyoma, and it diagnoses correctly in 99% of the cases. A leiomyoma is a benign smooth muscle neoplasm, but it is not harmless because it can cause excessive menstrual bleeding, which leads to anemia and infertility. Leiomyomas growth is stimulated by estrogen and progesterone. Adenomyosis means the presence of ectopic endometrial tissue within the muscular layer of the uterus. Endometrial tissue is growing further than it should, into the uterine muscles. This condition also causes bleeding and painful menses.The exact cause of this condition is not known, but it could be related to uterine trauma.