I'm 33 years old, and recently I gave birth to my first child, a beautiful baby girl. During the delivery there were some complications and the doctors had to do a total hysterectomy on me. Apparently a major artery was torn and there was a heavy bleeding into my abdominal cavity. They did a routine pathological checkup of the tissue that was removed and they told me that I had something called ademyosis. Can you tell me what is that and could it have any negative effects on my health?

I think you misheard what your doctor said to you or you misspelled the word adenomyosis. Adenomyosis is a condition which is caused when cells of the internal lining of the uterus grow into a muscular layer of the uterus. It occurs in women over 30 years of age who have had at least one full-term pregnancy, it’s not likely to happen in women who didn’t have a full-term pregnancy. Most of the women don’t feel any symptoms of adenomyosis. The possible symptoms are: sudden increase in menstrual cramps and bleeding, painful and prolonged menstrual bleeding. You probably didn’t feel anything and that’s why they couldn’t diagnose it before, since hysterectomy is the only way of establishing the diagnosis of adenomyosis. The cause of it is unknown but it is thought that some kind of damage inflicted on the uterine wall during pregnancy or childbirth could be a cause of adenomyosis. The treatment is not necessary if the woman has no symptoms. If bleeding and pain are too extensive hysterectomy may be needed but only if the woman is not approaching menopause. Symptoms disappear with menopause. Since the change has been totally removed it doesn’t represent any thread to your health.