No pain but terrible diagnosis

Hi, However, I had an MRI done and is indicates that I have severe degenerative disc disease in C5-C6 with mild compression and indentation on the anterior aspect of the cervical spinal cord. The right paracentral disc protrusion extends into the righ neural foramen causing severe narrowing of the right neural foramen with compression at the right C6 nerve root. and a bit more. I went to a neuro surgeon and she suggested surgery.
When I was at work I had numbness and tingling but since retiring, I have only minimal discomfort.
The question is whether I should wait until pain gets worse or have an operation now. Also should I stop doing sports such as golf. I am generally in good shape with good movement. Any advise???

no dont go for surgery , my husband has gone for surgery C6& c7 and he is in alot of pain, its been 5 months and hes in alot of pains , both arms and shoulder..... i hope this surgeons hands falls off , he hurt my husband. DONT

I had surgery March 28, 2012 and still am in pain and I still have tingling going on in my feet and fingers. I was in surgery for 5 1/2 hours and wore a neck brace for 6 weeks and feels like I never had the surgery except for all the extra pain.

For anybody considering this surgery, i highly recommend that you have them use your own bone (usually taken from the hip) to replace your disc(s).  I had this surgery a year ago to replace two discs and they used cadaver bone.  One disc fused perfectly, but my body rejected the other.  Unfortunately, a year later (i am recovering right now actually), i had to go thru the surgery again for the second disc, but using my own bone.  The bone graft from my hip has been painful, i admit, but hopefully, this will be the solution.  Because i have to admit, that i did feel immediate relief after both surgeries and was pain free for months after my first until my disc began to degenerate.  Recovery is not so bad, to be perfectly honest.  I'm in less pain than i was before surgery.  You will experience muscle spasms and such because your body is thrown out of whack, i mean, lets face it, you just had major surgery!  But if you are in severe pain, and it is affecting you're every day life, as it was mine  (i began to lose the use of my left arm), i do recommend it for sure.  You shouldn't have to live in chronic pain.  Make sure you find a doctor you trust and are comfortable with.  That is always important.  Hope this helped.  :-D

have they tried traction on you first?

Fascinating topic supervisor & I am unnecessarily sporty for your information through this site, I may in like route need to give information related to Cervical Fusion

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Sounds rude, but I'm glad I'm not the only 1. I am 3 and a half months post op have not had a day with out pain. I have been back to the Nuero surgeon and have sen a specialist physician. They are all confused as I should not have any pain. I feel as if I have flue 24/7 with upper and lower back pain including neck. i have even started to considerd taking my life it has been so bad. But wont as I have my kids to consider.