I am a 55 year old male and have been taking baby aspirin (81 mg) daily for 15 years. I had a routine complete blood count and it shows a platelet level of only 30,000. All other counts are within the normal range. My GP has referred me to an encologist. It seems there is an article in the NY Times I found on the internet that "seems" to say prolonged use of aspirin may cause low platelet counts. I should mention, a few weeks back I also took ibuprofen for back pain, but no longer take it.

Aspirin as far as I know would not be an actual cause. Aspirin can interfere with platelet function but it does not actually cause a low platelet count and even if it did, it would not cause a count quite as low as yours. I hope that they are able to find a solution to your issue, but aspirin doesn't seem to be the cause. Do be sure to mention it anyway so they can rule out any causes. Keep us posted!

can a low platlete count cause low testostorone

I had been put on low dose aspirin after having a stroke at age 33. I had no risk factors so the doctors were extremely confused as to why it had happened. Shortly after being put on the aspirin my platelets begin do drop for no apparent reason. I was diagnosed with ITP and the aspirin was what triggered it off.

Guest wrote:

Yes, aspirin can cause a drop in your platelet count...I know this from personal experience. I was put on low dose aspirin after suffering a stroke at the age of 33. Shortly after being put on the aspirin,(less than a month) my platelets starting dropping dramatically....they went from being about 325 down to around 110... At one point they got all the way down to 2. What was happening was I had ITP, and the aspirin triggered it off. My body thought that the aspirin (which was attaching itself to my platelets) was something bad for me and it was attacking them. So, yes, in some instances, aspirin or any other Item that you eat or drink or allow to enter your body can effect it in more ways than you might expect. I have been working with and studying all I can about ITP so that maybe I can help others and I also have Antiphospholipid Syndrome, a form of Lupus, which they finally figured out was the cause of my stroke. But, anyway, I try to keep updated as much as I can an all of these in hopes of helping others...I hope that I have helped you. And I hope you have a wonderful and blessed day!!! 

Did you also get tiny red blood bumps on your body? I have them appearing on my chest and neck area and wonder if its related to the aspirin and it lowering my platelet counts.

Yes, I suffered from ITP for almost 3 years after being on an aspirin dosage. . .my platelets were all the down to 10 and 11. My body was highly inflamed and it took 2.5 years to get over this. During the time my platelets were so low, I had horrible bruises and a small red rash. Good luck!

Thank you for this!! It is exactly what I have with the low platelets and skin inflammation. My primary care had no clue. It wasn't until my platelets have gone to 110 that anyone paid attention. Off the baby aspirin and the next time I get a headache, forget the liquid Advil!

Thank you. I have an AAA (13 cm, stints in place) and was told to take an 81 mg and 20 mg atorvastatin per day. My platelets went from 275 to 142. My primary care doctor hasn't mentioned a problem even though the number is outside of the range.

I have ITP my platelets have been normsl 170k, i was put on baby aspetin 1 week ago my platelets are now 70k and I am back on prednisone , sll other blood counts normal , you cant tell me baby adpetin and itp dont mix and asperin triggers itp.

I am taking aspirin 75 for last 17 years after my stentoplasty. I am now 62 years old. Platelet count 4 months back 1.5 lakh. As per doctor's advice stopped for 15 days and took the platelet count it became 2.4 l. Now I am taking baby aspirin 50. I just share my experience so that researchers can go further to work on it.

I have thrombocytopenia and blood spots on top of both arms. I read somewhere that a baby aspirin a day would get rid of this . My platelets are 77

are you ok now?

Thanks for your story, I’m down to 100k and I take baby aspirin 81mg daily. Last month I was 250k. Confused