31 year old male...........recently had a routine blood test, while RBC, WBC, Liver & everything came normal, had slightly low blood platelet count of 129. they asked to get another test, and this time the count was 122. they have now referred me to a hemotologist.
a little about my history...............I had a knee ligament surgery in December '05. The surgery was ok, but while still in the hospital i fainted due to weakness, and it was found that i had low potassium, though they did several blood tests and ECG & MRI on me......everything was normal. also they had given me general anesthesia so i had a slight dizzy sensation till two days after the surgery.
last year in the routine blood exam, my tests were normal. after the surgery i was given strong painkillers, and otherwise also since my surgery i have been taking painkillers like aleve to relieve work related stress & headaches. i checked in the internet & it said that low platelets can be from taking aspirin & other pain killers. also, i donot have symptoms like bleeding gums, difficulty in clotting, frequent bruises or anything. but since my first test which showed platelet count of 129 & the second test with a count of 122, i didn't take any medications. also, before i forget, i was given medication for anxiety two months back, but i had only two of those tablets. i have had a lot of stress past few months. i injured my knee in April '05, and waited for the surgery until December '05. Considering that the CBC came normal, except a platelet count of 122, can this be a cause of serious worry or cancer? i donot smoke, & I drink very occasionally. my knee doesn't hurt mostly, but when i do strenuos exercise it does, an i cannot bend & sit on my knees. it hurts then.

Legend
Hi there,

Well, many people with Hepatitis or liver disorders may get lower platelet count. Also a lot of meds could lower the platelet count. Did you have ultrasound exam? Is your liver or spleen enlarged? Generally, 120k platelet count is slight under normal range. Normal range is from 150k-300k. Fewer than 20k could be life-threatening. Symptoms like nose bleeding or bruises appear by persons with extreme low platelet count.

There could be a lot of different conditions that could provoke the decrease of thrombocytes. Some painkillers are also on the list, but you mentioned that you took them 2 months ago, so I'd skip this possibility.

The low platelet count is generally called thrombocytopenia, but it refers to extreme low platelet count. The platelets have been produced by bone marrow and some bone marrow disorders could decrease the production.

Anyway, your hematologist needs to make more tests to determine the exact cause for this slight decrease of thrombocytes. Some drugs like heparin could cause it, because it acts as anticoagulant. Also alcohol may result in a low platelet count by damaging the bone marrow, but aspirin can interfere with platelets function, although the platelet count remains normal.

Please keep us updated!

Regards,
Pseud0

I also have low blood platelets. Mine was 113,000 first time, I believe they went down to 97,000 then back up to 107,000. I have been seeing a hemotologist. I do burise very easily. But he told me if I wake up one morning and have all these bruises I should see him right away. I have had a couple of bruises on my left arm and also a little pin like purple bruise like thing.I am wondering if I should see my hemotologist about this. I had a bruise in the crease of my left arm last month and don't recall hitting anything, so what do you think?

Ask your doctor to test your for ITP. I also have low platelets and I am going to be tested for it.

Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) is the condition of having a low platelet count (thrombocytopenia) of no known cause (idiopathic). As most causes appear to be related to antibodies against platelets, it is also known as immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Although most cases are asymptomatic, very low platelet counts can lead to a bleeding diathesis and purpura.

My husband has been sick now for about a year. When we went to the doctor last september he was admitted immediately because his platelet count was only at 10,000. They originally diognosed him with ITP and then the second Doctor said no it is an autoimmune disease in his bone marrow. He has gone up and down as high as 120,000 and today back down to 20,000. He has been through IVIG 3 times, Ritoximab ( a kemo therapy) 10 times, 2 blood platelet tranfusions (one in which his throat started to close), 4 winrow treatments,3 bone marrow biopsys, probally over 60 blood tests, was tested for everything under the sun and has been on imuran, cyclosporin and has been on prednisone for over a year !! He is extremly tired, bruise easily, and when he cuts himself bleeds a long time !! But he is still going to work everyday and works out every day !! He tries not to let it get him down but I know it is starting to wear on him that he is not better yet !!

i want to know what is 6 for blood count? my sister has been sick for 2 years. she has had rhuematoid arthritis for 25 years but she is first sick with that and then she has dirreahea, then constipation, dizzy spells,falls a lot. her dr. told her her blood count was low and it was 6. I want to know if that is low real low, or what. that could be the cause of her falling and passing out. he never has given her anything for this.
lb

I have lower platelets, it count 90 right now. Doctor has been doing test and test and more test every 2 months, and has not done any other liver test. I am very weak, no energy and neck and severe back problems now. Any recomendations, I read everything you guys said about this and it scares me, and also the fact that my dad died from leukemia.
What should I do? I was thinking to change the doctor but it's a little complicated.
Thanks

My platelet count was 102 before starting meds for Hep C but then it went down in the 60s. My doc said not to worry until it was under 10K but four months after quitting the meds, it's still in the 70s. She says to have my primary do an ultrasound to see where the problem might be. But I haven't found any site that tells what the heck the ultrasound is supposed to find, so what is the purpose. If the ultrasound tells where the problem stems from then I'll know what to pray for specifically.

i have had a blood test 2 months ago and had a platelet count of 73, had another blood test last week and told that they could not use blood as was clumped and to come back in 3 weeks for another blood test. Is this normal as I am very worried?

The spleen could be enlarged if it is trapping too many platelets and that could be the problem. They check that when they do an ultrasound. I also have hep c. My platelets are 89 at the moment.

I've been reading alot about this problem. I was sick with either a virus or bacterial related food poisoning. I had to be hospitalized with 2 IV's, a painkiller to help me walk, and anti-nausea meds. After 7 hours, I was allowed to go home. My platelet count was 40,000. A week later, I got another CBC and it went up to 60,000. I never had a low count before and never had been sick like that before. I was extremely dehydrated, weak, and just plain sick. I am currently awaiting results from a huge panel of tests from my hematologist. I'm only 28 years old, 110 lbs, don't smoke, drink wine, no drugs. I don't eat c**p and I don't really work out either. Just wondering if there was anyone else who had a huge decrease in platelet count and then a normal recovery. I have no symptoms. No bleeding, no bruising. My doctors were actually pretty amazed I didn't have much else to complain about other than the stomach sickness (8 hours of non-stop throwing up, not even able to keep water down). 

I have low platelet count and stiffness in thighs and calf muscles. We have not been able to reach a diagnosis. but i have had a lot of painkillers. according to your post pain killers could lead to thrombocytopenia. If that is a probable cause what should be the treatment.? how long does it take to recover.

well i had blood drawn and my platelet count was 129 so i have to go back in and get more tests monday. ever since i got pregnant with my second child who is only 6 months old now i have had a couple symtoms of leukemia and im really afraid im only 22 i have a 6 year old and a 6 month old and im so not ready to find out i have leukemia. doc said all my platelet counts were normal b4. my symptoms are pain under the left ribs which they told me was a eco pain from the mid wife ripping the placenta away, red dots on the skin only mine are on my neck and arms they told me it was from having high estrogen levels when i was prego ad some of them have went away, i bruise easily and i am naturally pale i always have been what i want to no is if any of you or anyone has had this happen and it not be leukemia because im terrified all i have been doing is crying and thinking omg im not ready to be real sick i want to see my little girls become beautiful women and have babies of their own so someone any one please tell me what you think.

Tiffany please tell me you went to the Dr. Leukemia can be highly treatable if caught erly enough but aggressive if you ignore it. Sending prayers out to you.

my platelet count gone down from 150 ,138,120 in the last year.  i also have a wbc staying in the 2's