After 3 months of fighting low platelets. No change in my number. I run from 2,000 to 13,000.We removed my spleen. The day after the splenectomy my number was at 57,000. That was it, also after 3units of platelet's during the operation to get there. Now it's been 3 weeks with out the spleen & my number is still down under the 20,000. range. I now receive units of platelet's twice a week. I'm on 20 mg of DEXAMETHASONE & acyclovir 400mg daily. I have started back on my vit a few day ago. I do 4grams vit c, 1grm vit e. 1grm garloic. & sometines omega 3 fishoil 1grm. all daily.
The only common in this case has been smoking pot along the way. At the beginning it was more than now. The DEX pills kept me wired all the time & the pot was my only out. After getting used to the meds. I have cut back the pot a lot. And my number is still low. Do I just need to quite? It shouldn't be that bad from here. But it's still the only way to sleep at night. If I don't smoke a little bit I'll be up most, if not all the night.

I just want to know if the pot is hurting my system? I gotta do what I gotta do. I don't want to live like this forever!!!

i have ITP too, i also have a medical card for pot and ive asked everyone of my doctors if i could smoke and continue to smoke after my splenectomy and all 6 of them have given me the okay. pot keeps your blood pressure down which is good for ITP patients, however i would stick to medical grade because of he high risk for infection, plus they hand out medical cards in legal states on the west coast for symptoms of ITP. but it def doesnt help with the lack of energy...... lol stay stoned fellow spleen less stoner

Papaya Leaves is known to raise platelet counts.

Please read my post on Forum Matters Cannibis, called Pot not Benign.

Doctors are pretty ignorant about the dangers of smoking pot and splenectomized people. My only son was an itp and splenectomized person. He smoked much pot, did not take care of himself and did not get to the hospital in time. He and all of us were ignorant. Someone needs to shout this from the roof tops. My only son died of sepsis, I believe by pot over use. My heart will be broken forever. He was 30.

Mama wrote:

stayclassystaystoned wrote:

Your son died from Spesis from using Marijuana?

You are clearly mis-informed or lying. I'm pretty sure that any medical professional would laugh you out the the building trying to associate sepsis with marijuana use. Doctors in some states prescribe marijuana to deal with sepsis pain.

You know, It definitely wasn't a infection caused by the removal of the spleen, Or a infection caused by a outside contagion, or a infection from the large amount of surgery.. must have defiantly been marijuana.

You sound like a religion person in denial about something who is looking for anyone and everything to blame in this situation without actually looking at the facts.

Fools.

You know, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Mama. Let me tell you about my situation and how I got to this forum. I smoke a fair amount of weed. I really enjoy it, and at this time, I'm currently missing it. Why is this? Well, for my job, I have to get a security clearance (IT2 in case you're interested/doubting), and they have the right to drug test for this. For the last few years, I've been diagnosed with ITP, and my count has been dropping from the high 40's, finally to the low 20's last month. So my doctor scheduled a gamma globulin infusion, the first part of which I received today. In the meantime, I've been laying off the weed since November (this is January), just in case the gov't decides to test me. I love my current job and can't lose it. So I get my blood tested today, and guess what? My platelet count it up to the high 50's! They still went through with the infusion, of course, but it was a nice pleasant surprise, in any case. Please keep in mind that I have never heard of my platelet count being that high, since I knew anything about this issue. I arrived at this forum because I'm searching for information about this, on the chance that marijuana is linked to low platelet count. I still don't know if it is. It might only affect a minority of users, or perhaps only heavy smokers (I went through a half ounce a week, at my peak, though it's been more like a quarter for the last year). The thing is, marijuana hasn't been researched very often or in depth, so I wouldn't be surprised if this hadn't come up in any studies. So what I'm saying is that I'm currently wondering if there is a link. It might be coincidence, and it might only affect a small minority. Heck, I had a HEAVY-smoker friend who died last year of THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE EFFECT (he had anti-phospholypid syndrome, which causes spontaneous clotting). So I really don't know. But I would say this: if you have a low platelet count, and you smoke weed, try stopping for a couple of months, and see what happens. I'm still browsing on this issue, but pro-pot advocates shouldn't be knee-jerk about how wonderful weed is. I'm hoping that this correlation is completely coincidental, because I really enjoy a good toke, and I think that (generally speaking) smoking weed is significantly healthier than drinking alcohol. So take it from a smoker: monitor yourself, and don't knee-jerk dismiss potential issues. The Wise Toker

I was diagnosed w Itp in 1997. And have smoke medical marijuana for almost 9 years now everyday. i never felt it was the cause of my lowered platelets but of course this is what were all trying to figure out. I am now 22 and they want to remove my spleen. I told them I refuse. I feel like all my hemotologist does is read me my platelet count and then raises or lowers my prednisone. So recently I purchased this ebook on how to naturally increase platelets and an alternative solution to prednisone it's called, conquer low platelets. So now I will be changing my diet drastically and I'm considering stoping my medical marijuana usage until I am stable again. So I'll have to keep u updated. But if u haven't heard about this book I suggest u check it out bc it has given me more information than any hemotologist I have ever had. I'm not really a computer person but it feels good to know other ppl are in my same boat.

I have Chronic ITP I have been using pot for over a year and my platelets are over 400,000... I keep praying for Medical Marijuana in my state... I also have had a splenectomy, and I have alot of auto immune issues and I have Myasthenia Gravis from having my Spleen out.. I got my spleen out in 2003.

I have been diagnosed with ITP for about 4 years. I did the old prednisone and IVIG and Humate P. Some of these may not be familiar to you because I have VonWillibrands. VonWillibrand is a platelet quality problem not a quantity problem. It is seen and cataloged as a cause for ITP. Some doctors consider it something separate. It had been cataloged only as early as 1995. Essentially anti-bodies attach themselves to what as seen as foreign objects in the platelets of poor quality, your white cells attack the platelets reducing their numbers and transporting them to you spleen of course. Lower platelets = ITP right? VonWillibrand Factor is a chemical used by the body to create platelets. If the vWF is low, platelets are not formed properly and the cycle goes on. You take Preds to keep your platelets up by keeping your antibodies from tagging these platelets. Still bad platelets still on Preds. I recommend having your doctor check for this. As I said before most doctors don't know you can have both or one could be tied to another. Not many doctors even are familiar with vWF so I had to educate myself a little bit when I was diagnosed with ITP because the Preds could not go on for ever. The high dose for over a year was burning me out from the inside out. i had to educate myself enough just to convince my doctor to test me and it saved my life. I am struggling to find answers myself. i am currently in the hospital typing to you with a 2,000 count and on Preds again after coming off everything having one infusion of Humate P for over a year. I just feel Preds are a stop gap and no one is looking over the hill for something else so I first had to put that out there. My thoughts on weed came from me smoking some for the first time in 23 years. Granted I had this diagnosis prior to smoking but I smoked about a month ago and I had to think my numbers might have gone down slow and unnoticed as a result. They are once again talking about spleen removal. I just need more information before I go in that direction. One other thing vWF comes and goes as a cycle. the cycle can be month, six months even a year or more. You never actually come to normal. My stabilized number runs about 60 -75. It could be the cycle or it could just be my blast from the past. VWF effects 1 in 10,000 people but there are thoughts of there being more than that. It can be triggered and come on suddenly by a trauma like a sickness, accident or just genetics so see if others in your family might have a slight bleeding problem like a woman having an extended and heavy period.. Good luck to you all. My prayers are with you.

my sister is 15 she was diagnosed with itp 5 years ago. the childrens hospital near us put her on a study drug. which really brought up her platlets. once she started smoking pot we noticed the numbers go up drastically. after a few months on the drug they took her off for a few months to see if there was any change in numbers. which there wasnt. so they kept her off the drug. and now she smokes pot. and has had NOT one issue. no bruises, no severe bleeding when getting a cut. and i know you may not want to hear this but they also took her off of the birth control they thought she would need because of itp. and its been 3 1/2 years

papaya plus pomegrenate = increased platelet count.

:)

papaya leaf extract capsules also work

I have battled ITP since the age of 5. Splenectomy done and unfortunately fell in the 20% catogery of not cured. While I was a child I lived only in hospitals with transfusions. Once I hit 18, I started to smoke pot and must say, I have actually not had any relapse. My hematologist too has given me the ok as he has seen how my platelets are doing good with it. I am supposed to be on medication for life but since 18, I've not taken those pills and today I am 34. Yes I do get a few spots when I get the flu but weed has boosted my immune system greatly.

Can you send me the link for the e-book??

I don't think there is a problem with smoking pot with low platlet count (ITP). My platlets have stayed up because of the pot I think. Still have my spleen, last dose of dexamethasone was in July and now its November and they are still up. Only thing I have done different is smoke pot daily in the evening before bedtime. Wish their was some scientific proof of this??