I am 36 years old and was feeling tired all the time, I blammed it on having 3 young children (5, 2, and 6 months old). blood work showed my platelet count, my white blood cells, and vitamin B-12 where all low. 2nd test showed no improvements and now the 3rd blood work showed that my platelet went up to 90, while my white blood count went down. I have been taking vitamin B-12 for a month now and I feel wonderful and full of energy again. I had an ultrasound to rule out an enlarged spleen and instead found out I have a fatty liver. I am not over weight, I work out 4-5 times a week, and eat healthy. I am wondering if the liver is not absorbing vitamins and nutrients due to the fat and is not producing enough TPO (a healthy protein made by the liver to control the production of platelets). Could this be the cause of my low platelet and white blood cell count? Could my liver or a vitamin B-12 deficiency be the cause and not ITP like my Hemotologist is suspecting? I am scheduled to have a bone marrow biopsy next week, but am doing my own research to see if there are alternative causes for a low platelet and white blood cell count production?

I have ITP, my lowest level has been 10, but ive managed to stabilise them at 63. your platlets are still pretty low, the normal is from 150. So it could be ITP, im not sure on your white blood cells. Have they tested you to rule anything yet?? i know that i had anemia which was the cause of my low white blood cells. but they also tested me for things like lupas etc?? not to worry you just usually they rule all the nasty stuff out first when trying to diagnose. here is a link i found that might help??

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Can you please update me on your above post? Thanks.

Leo wrote:

yadip wrote:

had the bone marrow biopsy and the test showed that I have low platelet count. Dr could not give me a reason as to why my white blood cell count continues to drop and that remains a mistery to him. It seems when my platelet level increases, my white blood cell count decreases. I can't find any other research to show why this is happening. I am drawing blood every 3 months now to monitor my ITP and have my 1st check up in December. I have started juicing with fruits and veggies and my energy levels have increased quite a bit and when I skip a day or two, I feel sluggish again. I think diet and exercise play a part, but I think something else is the cause for my low white blood count.