I am HIV positive since 1990. I was on therapy since I was diagnosed, ITP and there were never problems because of Zidovudine. Anyway prior to therapy, my platelets were always around 75000. I decreased therapy in last may and checked platelets again and found that are 22000.My hematologist decided to do IVIG. Now I am on 39000. I know that my options are limited. How common is Thrombocytopenia during the course of HIV infection?

I did little research about this and I found out that Thrombocytopenia or low platelet count is common in HIV. The mechanisms of Thrombocytopenia in HIV related ITP include these processes: increased platelet destruction, decreased platelet production and infection by HIV of platelet precursor cells. There are several treatment options for HIV-related ITP: Zidovudine with a response rate of 70%, antiretroviral agents in various combinations (HAART) also have been quite effective, antiretroviral therapy is clearly the treatment of choice for HIV-related ITP and high dose intravenous gammaglobulin (IVIG) is extremely useful for obtaining a rapid increase in platelet count.