Hi, I have a five years old daughter. She did not have any serious medical condition in her life. Few days ago she developed pox. I did not know what kind were they so I took her to see a doctor. Besides the pox she was also getting these strange bruises. My daughter was diagnosed with chickenpox. This was not the end of her trouble. Further analyses showed that she has acute idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) and that this condition caused the bruising. The doctor scheduled a new appointment and prescribed my daughter some medicine. I know a lot about chickenpox, but I have never heard about idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. What do you know about ITP blood disease?

Hi, I am sorry to hear that your daughter has to fight chickenpox and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura at the same time. The complicated name of this illness means that your daughter has a reduced number of platelets in her blood. Because of this she bruises a lot. The decrease in platelets can also cause bleeding gums and more importantly internal bleeding. Why this reduction of platelets happens is not determined. Some scientists believe that a viral infection, like chickenpox, can influence our immune system to kill not only the virus, but our own cells as well. However, even though this condition seems serious, the prognosis is good. When your daughter's body fights off the infection it will stop killing her own platelets too. In the mean time you will have to take care of your daughter and prevent any possibility for her to get injured.

hi my name in pam im 29 years old i was diagonis with I.T.P. when i was 14 years old i had my spleen removed in 2000 i didnt work i still have I.T.P and i manage just fine the only thing doctors say it would be dangerous to have a baby im very depressed why did this happen to me

HI my name is holly i am 14 years old and when i was in 2nd grade i was diagnosed with I.T.P. i was 8 years old and my body healed when i was 10. i am fine now but i still have to be careful of getting hurt. it's not serious any more but it was a very scary expirience! :!:

Guest wrote:

Guest wrote:

8) :? :x :cry: :o :idea:

Hello I also had itp at age 14 my spleen was removed at 16.I have been fine since then I am now 47.If the doctor wants to remove your daughters spleen see if you can wait because it can repair as she gets older.Also it is not supposed to be hereditary

What side effects if any have you suffered from having your spleen removed. I ask as my spleen is very considerably enlarged and may need removal.
Phil

FOR THE PERSON WHOM SAYS SHE WAS TOLD SHE COULD NOT HAVE A BABY DUE TO IT WOULD BE DANGEROUS. I HAD A CHILD...BUT, THEY HAD TO RAISE MY PLATELET LEVEL BEFORE I GOT THE C-SECTION. ALL CAME OUT WELL.

Hi. My name is Tammie. Im 24 and I was diognosed with ITP 2 years ago when i found out my platelet count was down to 7.

I was on prednisolone for about 6 months but this was only treatment i had. Since then Ive been ghetting regular blood test every week to find out my platelet count as I play rugby union.

All i know is that is my count is higher that 50 i can play.... i get major bruises but its ok because im living my life how i want to. Itp is difficult to deal with but like ive said it can be done.

Courtenay - most cases of ITP in children go away within 6 months. So hopefully your daughters body will heal will heal itself. :-D

my email is _[removed]_ if you just want to talk i may not know much but sometimes it helps to talk to someone. :-)

hi im charlotte lake ive had itp since i found out i was pregnant i had already lost one child but didnt know the cause. i had a bone marrow test which proved i had chronic itp it was extremely dangerous when i was pregnant i didnt respond to steriods and i became imune to immuneiglobin so i had to have my daughter phoebe rose a month early when she was born she was very poorly and thought i was going to loose her because of my blood disease i blamed myself so much because it passed the placenta i also heamreged and had to have a blood transfusion my partner thought he was going to loose us both they are now talking about me having my spleen removed but i really dont want to have it done.

they have advised me not to have any more children but now i relise how dangerous it is im not going to risk putting another baby through that again it was very hard to watch your baby fight for her life but im blessed to have her im 19 now and finding it hard to cope with itp im glad this website helps people likes us xxx

I am now 22, but was diagnosed with ITP several years ago. My platelet count constantly stays below the 30-40,000 mark, but I have had few complications other than some nasty looking bruises and having to take bleeding precautions into consideration. I, also, have had a child. This required frequent trips to the Dr. to keep an eye on my levels, but was well worth the time. Only complication was some heavier bleeding for a while after my baby was born, and also the fact that after your platelet count gets so low, you can have NO epidural. Also, my son had a lower platelet count at birth, which WAS scarry, but this returned to a normal level after a little more than a week, and he has not had any complications since. I see a hematologist for this condition, and firmly believe that a specialist is more informed than your family practice doctor. They are worth the expense and can certainly give you more peace of mind about this condition.

I have had I.T.P for as long as i can remember... I am the mother of FOUR children my only complaint was three had to be with out pain meds because my platelets dropped too low. BAHUMBUG to you can not have kids... you just may have to have them totally natural... totally sucks !!!!!!

I have two children ( had them before I found out I had ITP) and had natural child birth (no pain relievers with either one) and was in labor for almost 19 hrs with each of them...