Hello, guys. I would like to find out something more about autoimmune hepatitis and primary biliary cirrhosis. Is the first linked to the liver and the latter to the bile ducts? Is the second one autoimmune or not? I would really appreciate if someone could give me more info on this. Thank you in advance.

You have asked some interesting question. Autoimmune hepatitis (AIH) is indeed autoimmune disease. The exact cause is not known. Primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) has unknown cause, but it is suspected to be autoimmune as well. PBC affects the cells of bile ducts unlike AIH which destroys liver cells called hepatocytes. Both diseases can have mild clinical feature so it is left untreated or it is often misdiagnosed. However, sometimes it can have very serious clinical feature. You should consult an expert for more details. I hope this will help you. Bye!

Hi. I have some clearer picture now about AIH and PBC. I will also try to find out how both of these diseases are diagnosed. I forgot to ask you this. If you know the answer, please let me know. I am asking since my friend has some liver problems and the doctor has excluded the most common causes.