Hi, I have been diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis. I would like to know what are possible treating options. I was given only prednisone. Is it enough?

In autoimmune diseases body is attacking it’s own cells, in this case liver cells what results in liver inflammation. Scientists believe that genetic predisposition is inherited. It's a chronic disease, can become serious, finally resulting in cirrhosis of the liver and eventually liver failure. Symptoms are faigue, enlarged liver, jaundice, itching, skin rashes, joint pain, abdominal discomfort, nausea and vomiting. The sooner treatment is began the better it is. Corticosteroids are used to lower immune reaction, like prednisone. If azathioprin is applied, dose of prednisone can be decreased. The disease can not be cured and treatment is usually continued with some stops for lifetime.