Hi! I have been living with autoimmune hepatitis for a few years now, and have been medicated for this since the diagnosis. I am taking prednisone. I am still young and not in a relationship at the moment, but I have always known that I want children. Do you think there are any particular risks because of the autoimmune hepatitis, as well as because of the prednisone? If there are other women here who have autoimmune hepatitis and have already has a baby, I would love to hear from you!

Hey. I might not have the answers you were looking for, but I will share my story regardless. I am a thirty year old woman with autoimmune hepatitis, and I will have to have a liver transplant at some point. After a lot of soul searching, my husband and I chose not to get pregnant. First of all, there is the possibility that you could pass autoimmune hepatitis on to your baby and second, your autoimmune hepatitis could get considerably worse during pregnancy. My husband and I chose not to take those risks, and we are now looking to go the foster-to-adopt route instead. Having said that, I do know that there are lots of women with autoimmune hepatitis who do choose to have children of their own, so it can be done. Your best bet is talking to your doctor about this, I think.

Thank you very much for your information and sharing your personal story. Do you know any more about risks of prednisone to a foetus? Also, what are the chances that the autoimmune hepatitis will get worse in pregnancy, and if this happens, what is the worst that can happen? I didn’t know that people with potentially life-threatening illnesses even had the right to adopt. I am happy for you that you have made the decision that is right for you!

I also have autoimmune hepatitis, and I have asked all my doctors the same question. They have all said that the autoimmune disease does not pass onto the fetus however MIGHT affect your siblings kids (nephews/nieces). You're siblings (if you do have any) should be tested as well. As for the prednisone, this will not affect the fetus; you will actually be on it during pregnancy (hello puffiness!!). The medicines you will not be able to take during pregnancy are the immunorans (ie. Azathioprin, etc..). Since pregnancy naturally lowers your immune system, it can actually help the situation. But before becoming pregant, you should talk to your doctors and be stable for about a year with no flares. Hope it helped!

Hi I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis in Jan 2006 when I got really sick but have had problems with my liver since 1999. I was told not to have any more children and I wasn't planning on it. Failed birth control lead to an unplanned pregnancy in 2010. I talked to the Drs and decided to see what would happen. I was told that my immune system would be naturally suppressed during pregnancy which happens to every woman and I was followed closely and did not need any Meds during pregnancy. I also have fibromyalgia and decided not to take those Meds either so it was a very painful 8 months. Remember liver patients cannot take Tylenol and pregnant people can't take ibuprofen. I say 8 months because at 30 weeks I went into labor and after 4 weeks of complete bedrest and on again off again labor I gave birth to a healthy but small baby boy. During that time period in the hospital on the birthing ward I was constantly being injected with all sorts of drugs with no regard to my liver. Their #1 job is the baby. I was able to be injected with both steroid shots for lung development and he narrowly escaped the NICU but I did get dilated to 7 centimeters and consider myself very fortunate to have kept him cooking for another month. For the month following his birth I felt the best I had in many years. I was told to expect this also. And at about 4 weeks postpartum my fibromyalgia flared something awful, my liver stayed reasonably ok tho. I ate really healthy the whole time, drank 3 protein shakes a day on top of whatever food I could eat (but was never hungry the whole pregnancy) and only gained 8 lbs total. He was 17 1/2 inches and 5lbs 13 oz when born. And he is 100% perfectly healthy and happy now despite all the Meds I had to be on in the end. BTW my blood was taken every 4 hrs cause of the mercury they give u to stop labor. It can be done if you are careful, take good care of yourself, get a good OB that works with ur Gastro, and prepare for complications. I had placenta previa and bleeding early on and was on bedrest for a month then too. All in all the entire pregnancy was a nightmare but worth it when I look at him. And be prepared for all the tough things like signing a DNR, naming a responsible person to make medical decisions for you, and having your affairs in order before delivery. As I have older children this was very important and we made the decision to have the baby as a family prepared for whatever outcome there was. Hope this helps you

I have autoimmune hep and I have delivered 3 kids all prematur, and it was not related to the disease it was because of other health problems I was having. It can not be spread to the fetus and it can be treated throughout your pregnancy

Helps a lot me and my soon to be husband want kids in the near future and me having autoimmune hepatitis kind of made us a little worried but now reading this gave me a sense of hope

Hello I am pregnant and been living with AIH for 13 years. I am on Azathioprine and Prednisone. Per my hepatologist and everything I have read myself from medical journals. It is fine to be on all the medication while pregnant it does not effect the baby. But your body may naturally suppress enough to where no medication is needed. At delivery there should be a Hepatologist on call to be there with you to be ready for the immediate prednisone that will be needed when once you deliver. Where I live there are only 2 hospitals that do this and have both had many patients with AIH with perfectly healthy mothers and babies. Make sure you find a Maternal-Fetal doctor who knows the disease and how to handle the pregnancy and everything will be great. You can also breastfeed while still on these medications.