My friend has been diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis. I only know that this is some form of liver disease. I don’t know the details. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me something more about the treatment and drugs that are used here. Thank you for replying to my post.

Hi, there. Autoimmune diseases have one thing in common – hyperactive immune system. It cannot recognize cells from the organism and attacks them. The exact cause is not known. The first line of drugs that are used here are steroids like prednisone. They suppress your immune system. Of course, there are many side effects of this therapy. Immunosuppressive drugs can also be used. Imuran is one of the most popular here. Sometimes cytotoxic drugs like cyclophosphamide can also be used if the previous ones do not work. I hope this will help.