Hi! After liver biopsy doctor told me that I have autoimmune hepatitis. He also said that I must begin with treatment immediately. Please tell me what is prednisone. Thank you!

Hi! I was lucky because my disease is diagnosed early. Also I have proper treatment so my disease is under control. Treatment works best when autoimmune hepatitis is diagnosed early. The primary treatment is medicine to suppress (slow down) an overactive immune system. Autoimmune hepatitis is treated with daily doses of a corticosteroid called prednisone. Your doctor may start you on a high dose (20 to 60 mg per day) and lower the dose to 5 to 15 mg/day as the disease is controlled. The goal is to find the lowest possible dose that will control your disease. Your doctor may prescribe azathioprine, in addition to prednisone, once your disease is under control. Most people will need to take prednisone, with or without azathioprine, for years. Some people take it for life.