Hi, until last night I was very happy person. I went to a campus far away from every domestic problem. My boyfriend is here in the same city. But my mother called me last night to tell me that she has some problems. She has started to experience itchiness of the skin last few days. Jaundice was also present. On the blood test her bilirubin was sky-high. They told her that she has PBC. I don’t know what it is and she was too upset to explain me. Please tell me what it is.

PBC is short for primary biliary cirrhosis. It is very dangerous autoimmune disease. At least most of the scientists believe that it is autoimmune, although there are some opinions that it can be caused by infections agents. Anyway PBC is slow but progressive destruction of small bile ducts within the liver. It causes building up of bile in the liver which can damage the tissue. At the end it leads to liver failure. There is no cure for this but they can use medications to slow the process. The liver transplantation is the only solution.