Someone referred me to this forum as a good place to look for medical information. I am looking into various autoimmune disorders, and am hoping one of you can enlighten me on the treatment for autoimmune hepatitis. I’ve heard that there are various treatment possibilities. Are there any treatment guidelines that I could familiarize myself with? If you have any sources to share, that would be great. I am not a medical professional and would prefer materials that are written in plain English, though I could probably work my way through medical papers as well. Thanks!

Hi. With the limited knowledge I have about autoimmune hepatitis, I can tell you that I believe prednisone is standard treatment for anyone who suffers from the disease. This is used to suppress the immune system. Another drug called azathioprine is also used, for the same purpose. Apart from that, those who experience permanent scarring or the liver may need a liver transplant.