Hi, guys. My father was hospitalized yesterday due to some liver problems. It seems that he has autoimmune hepatitis. As far as I understand, it is an inflammation of the liver caused by immune system. I would like to know if this disease is fatal or not. I would appreciate all your replies.

It usually is not a fatal disease. If your father responds to the medications, he should have a normal lifespan. However, he doesn't fit into the usual demographics. Has he had a liver biopsy? The biopsy is needed to confirm this diagnosis.

Hello aldis1118,

First of all try not to stress yourself out that much about your father’s condition. As much as it is serious it isn’t necessary fatal. Of course this all depends on the severity of his condition and on the fact how long he has been suffering from this and what is the main cause of autoimmune hepatitis.

Inflammation of the liver can be dangerous if it isn’t treated on time but in the most of the cases with good treatment therapy he should be just fine.

Of course he will need to change his lifestyle and to adjust his diet to the new conditions. But I am sure that your doctor will inform you about these details.

I have autoimmune hepatitis myself. I was diagnosed with it when I was about 12 years old. I had almost died before they figured out what was wrong with me. They said that it's a disorder that someone is born with and will die with as there is no cure.

They didn't even think I would live till I was 20 and I am now 29. I wasn't even suppose to be able to have children and I have a beautiful 8 year old daughter.

Just like anything else it all depends how well you take care of yourself. I keep check on my blood levels regularly, especially when I start getting really tired or bruising easily. Just tell him to take care of himself. Good luck!