Could someone tell me something about the causes of autoimmune attack? The thing is that I am being recently diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis and I still don't get it how could it be for I never was using any drugs or alcohol. I was explained that I am predisposed actually to have autoimmune liver attacks so I would now appreciate any info related to autoimmune liver attack -what causes it and what would be the bets treatment? Thanks!

Hi! I am now 29 and almost 10 years ago I was diagnosed with type 1 autoimmune hepatitis caused by autoimmune liver attack-so those autoimmune attack doesn't have nothing to do with irregular life-it simply means that our immune system doesn't work properly so instead of attacking the viruses and bacteria's in our case it attacks our own body that is the liver so you have this autoimmune hepatitis caused by the autoimmune liver attack-so it basically means that your liver is covered by scars and fibrosis and it may grow also and needs special treatment-I know that in most severe cases the liver transplantation would be the best opt. I don't know what have caused such an autoimmune attack in your case but in mine it was caused by the hepatitis A infection I had and plus I am genetically predisposed on having this autoimmune attack. I remember initially I was taking high doses of prednisone which suppresses the immune system but for its serious side effects such as diabetes, glaucoma, hypertension and weight gain I was advised to take it along with azathioprine just to reduce the side effects. Anyway I am still taking this drug combination but the doses are significantly reduced for my condition has improved somewhat. Anyway someone needs to take those meds for years only but I need taking them for life according the fact that I am genetically predisposed to have such autoimmune attack and also I am found to have some other anti bodies in my blood that would react against some other organs so my advice for you is to check your blood regularly.