I am studying autoimmune disorders in animals, particularly dogs. right now, I am hoping for people whose dogs have been diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis to come forward and give me details of what symptoms your dog has, how you discovered they had autoimmune hepatitis and what treatment you are giving. Thanks in advance!

my 6 year old boxer bailey recently started having symptoms of sour stomach, not eating well at all, throwing up and sick to her stomach alot. She had to see the vet to have some bumps taken off, one being a mast cell tumor. With her blood work for the surgery it showed very high liver enzymes. So when they took the tumors off the vet did an aspiration of her liver, also a sonogram showed nodules on her spleen. The report came back that it could be liver cancer. so back to surgery she went 4 days later for a biopsy of her liver and her spleen. Just got the report it was not cancer but hepatitis instead. She as a puppy received multiple vaccinations at one time that caused her for form antibodies to all her joints. autoimmune disease of the joints. she was put on prednisone (high dose at first, 5 mg a day- then over time I had her down to 2.5mg every other day which was working well to control the joint pain. Now since these antibodies are now attacking her organs - liver and spleen, she is back up to 5 mg a day and we may add another medication for immune problems if the pred does not do it.  I am also giving life vantage for dogs, an immune system booster, and also k-9 immunity plus for dogs that have cancer- also an immune system booster,  I have to go back in 10 days after uping her dose of pred and see how her blood work looks.  But I tell you she feels so much better, don't know if it is the higher dose of pred. or the life vantage that has milk thistle in it plus other roots and herbs, or the k-9 immunity that has omega 3 fish oil and other good stuff in it. but all in all she is eating well again and somewhat back to her old self.  hope this helps you...

Hi merle,

My sister's dog used to have this kind of disease. As to what we have observe, her dog has loss his appetite, vomits frequently, urinating in a much more darker color and diarrhea with some blood on the stool. She is actually from Davie, FL and a vet from (jacarandaanimalhospital.net) has given his dog a preservative diet and gave some advises which she must keep her dog away from insects and allergens and to keep her dog in shape and with exercise.