This forum seems to be a great place to get information about medical issues. Can you help me with some info about autoimmune hepatitis? My sister suspects that this is what she has, and she is supposed to be tested this week. What are the treatments like? What medications are typically given? Do they have side-effects? And also, very importantly, do treatments last a lifetime or would she be able to come off meds at some point? Thanks!

Autoimmune hepatitis is usually treated by a combination of medicines to slow down the overactive immune system of the patient. Common medicines prescribed for autoimmune hepatitis are prednisone and azathioprine. The majority of people using these medicines actually goes into remission within three years of starting treatment, sop there is every hope that this will happen for your sister if she has autoimmune hepatitis.