Hi there, I am a medical student and I want to know more about Colon inflammation. It is for work I had to write and every information would be most welcome. I guess there must be some experience doctor who would like to help me out on this subject. How serious this condition really is?

Hello, I will be happy to help you out. Ulcerative colitis is a chronic disease of the colon, or large intestine. This is actually the colon inflammation to put it simply. The condition will probably start in rectum but afterwards the whole colon might be involved. There are different names for the condition which depend of what area is affected. The biggest problem with the disease is because in many cases it predicts colon cancer. If that is the case the condition is very serious. I hope I have helped you. I wish you all the best.