Hello. My best friend has been diagnosed with angiofibroma, which is a tumor found in the nasal cavity. Before he was diagnosed with this, I didn’t even know it was possible to have tumor in the nose cavities. How common is this? How does this tumor develop? Is there anyone who knows more about it? Thank you!

Even though many people haven’t heard about it, Juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma (JNA) is one of the most common benign nasal cavity tumors of adolescence. It often acts in a malignant manner by eroding into the surrounding sinuses, orbit, or cranial vault. It is found almost exclusively in adolescent males average age, 14-18 y. The cause has not been determined although there are some theories. Some of the medical therapies involve: external beam irradiation that rapidly resolves symptoms, but tumor resolution can take months to years; chemotherapy: Hormonal flutamide, a nonsteroidal androgen blocker, interferes with testosterone binding and has been shown to reduce tumor size. Surgical therapy remains the mainstay of therapy for stage I-IVa tumors. Several approaches are dependent on the location and extent of the JNA. Options include any combination of lateral rhinotomy and lip split; midface degloving; or transpalatal, transantral, or transzygomatic infratemporal approach.