Hi, I heard from a friend that birth control pills are best for acne. Why is that? I have problem with acne, but I don’t want to start taking birth control pills until I heard how they work.

Hi, I also have a problem with acne. I thought they would disappear after puberty, but they didn’t. In high school I was too young to use birth control pills, so I used some product that had no effect. Now, I decided to try with birth control pills. Low-dosage birth-control pills are approved by FDA for acne treatment. Just before menstruation starts, male hormone androgen raises and causes acne appearing. Birth control pills actually stop androgen from raising excessively, and this way prevent acne appearing. However, it’s not smart to take any birth control pills without consultation with your gynecologist, because first you have to find out are they right for you. These pills can cause some serious side effects, and you should be aware of them before you start using the pills.

As stated by the above poster, birth control pills help acne by adjusting your hormonal levels. Unfortunately, they don't produce the same effect in everyone. Some women experience breakouts when taking birth control pills as their body responds differently to the pills. You should also consider the risks involved with the pills before taking any. BC pills have been shown to increase your risk of cervical cancer. I found most of this info from here *****. Before you take any sort of pills, you really need to talk to your doctor. As kious said, BC pills can cause some pretty severe side effects in the right person.

**edited by moderator**web addresses not allowed**