Hi, my girlfriend has problem with cystic acne. It seams that they appear just before her period, and this makes her even more nervous. Can you tell me how are those acne treated?

Hi, same problem here! I am 23 yeas old, and every time before my period, big cystic acne appear on my cheeks. It is so annoying, I have to do something about it! I went to dermatologist, and she told me that many girls have acne before their period, because mail hormone androgen raises excessively and causes outbreak. She told me to use isotretinoin for four months. This drug is effective in preventing scaring and reducing the size of the oil glands. It’s still early to say if it’s effective, because I’ve been using it only for couple of weeks. I still have cystic acne, but I hope they will disappear when I fini9sh the treatment. If this doesn’t work, I will go to my gynecologist and ask her if I can use birth control pills to reduce acne.