I don't know all that much about Accutane, but I am dealing with severe adult acne that did not respond to Retin A in any way. Several people, online and in real life, have suggested that I ask my doctor for Accutane. All I know is that it is meant to be very effective but with severe side effects. I am not planning a baby any time soon and am healthy that I know of apart from the acne. 

What else do I need to know before I even consider asking my doctor for Accutane? I would love to hear from people who are on it or have been in the past.

I don't know much about accutane I was supposed to be put on that But decided not to. All I do know it they want you to use 2 forms of birth control like condoms, pill.. Etc which ever you prefer I believe

Accutane can certainly work like a charm. It is a very heavy medication. My friend, who is on it and has been several times at different points in her life, refers to it as a "chemotherapy strength medication". I don't know if she is right about that, but that is interesting in any case. Accutane certainly rids your body of the bacteria that cause acne and does something to make your follicles function normally. 

Candidates for Accutane are those for whom other acne treatments did not work, who do not want to get pregnant or have other contraindictions, and who can be in regular touch with their prescribing doctor, being a responsible patient in other words. Yes, the not getting pregnant thing is serious business as Accutane can cause severe birth defects. My friend had her tubes tied ages ago so that is one of the things that makes her such a good candidate.

My thoughts exactly!

I am in my 30s & the acne I am suffering from is really bad for my self esteem and causes physical discomfort also, but I would also like to have a baby and so Accutane is not a good option for me at the moment, if ever. It makes me wonder, if Accutane can do that to a fetus, what will it do to your own body as well?

Retin-A didn't do much for me either, only leading to a mild improvement in breakouts, and my acne is not just on my face but on my back and shoulders and chest as well. What are other options that I should be looking into that do not carry the same dangers as Accutane?

Hi

After seven + years of struggling with acne I just got approved for accutane, something I've wanted to try forever. I've tried everything else for acne, you name it and I've tried and failed with it. Googling before and after pics I am very hopeful that my face will finally be mine again after starting accutane. I'll be getting the 60 mg a day by the way, which is three separate tablets each day. I am very hopeful and still looking for the best skin products to use while on it.

Accutane can truly be a miracle drug for some people. BUT, and that is a big but, it is not without side effects. First off is the risk to female patients who may get pregnant, of course. If there is any chance that you could get pregnant, Accutane is just not an option. You need several forms of birth control if you are a woman. Then, it severely dries out the skin and even lips in some people, something that can end up being just as bad an experience as having acne. Finally, be aware of this. Accutane causes depression in some people. How prevalent that is isn't clear right now, but if you have any family history of depression at all, be very careful.

Yeah, the skin dryness is definitely something to take into account before you start accutane. I read somewhere that most people get it. I have never been on accutane myself but do have severely dry skin so I can't say which is worse. I did hear that some people who are taking accutane actually use petroleum jelly as their primary moisturizer which sounds absolutely crazy to me. I guess you really need to ask your prescribing doc about this before hand and consider the pros and cons of being on accutane and getting rid of that severe acne vs everything else that could happen to you while on it. My thought is don't judge unless you have had severe nodular acne yourself.

Someone I know was put on accutane after dealing with very severe acne over a time span of several decades. The derm she went to basically made it out like she'd never see any breakouts again. I know that can happen. Anyway, that is not what happened to her. A few weeks in, she ended up with terrible ulcerating acne. She called the derm and was told to just keep on taking it. She decided to come off it instead. So well, before going on accutane really do have a serious talk with your derm about all the possible side effects and what to do if you get those so you can decide for yourself whether you want it or not.

That is one possible side effect of Accutane yes, that your skin may end up looking worse than it did to start out with. It's by far the least you need to worry about though. Headaches, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, liver damage, and depression so severe that it may lead to suicidal feelings are all possible side effects of Accutane, which is of course an acne drug. I understand how severe skin disorders can impact your self esteem as I have rosacea myself, but is Accutane worth the risk? That is something that requires some incredibly careful consideration I think. Accutane is a very, very serious medication that is not for everyone.

I've been on Accutane in the past for cystic acne and I can't describe with words just how much it helped me.

It took me ages to get the prescription. I was single and no way was I going to get pregnant, but they're really careful who they dispense Accutane too. Once I finally got it, the side effects were not nearly as bad as I thought. The chapped lips were nasty. I needed medical lip balm for that. First 10 days I had bad breakouts, really, really bad. There was also nose bleeds. After that fist period my skin cleared up. Like snow before the sun. A new person! No depression here. Quite the opposite. By the end I looked great.

I've now been off it and acne's back. I'm thinking I will ask my doctor for another round of Accutane, and I know what to expect from it.