I spent nine years in Africa doing development work, and it changed my life forever. I was only marginally involved with those infected with HIV/AIDS, on the fund raising side of things and not directly. I do wonder what the best drug is for HIV, and how full blown aids can be prevented.

The best drugs are different from person to person. Anti-retrovirals are very important, but there are many anti-retroviral drugs that are approved by the FDA. I imagine that the drugs that are used in other countries and continents are often of a lesser quality, due to a lack of financial support from the governments of such countries. If you want a list of FDA approved HIV drugs, the FDA lists them on its website, or at least I think so.

I have heard that some people can be HIV positive for many years, and even decades, without ever receiving specific HIV drugs or even, in many cases, knowing that they are infected with the HIV virus at all! What is the deal with that? Why do some people need HIV drugs, while other people do fine without it?