Hi! An episode of Grey's Anatomy got me thinking about HIV and the life expectancy for people living with HIV. Can anyone answer my questions about this? What is the life expectancy for people infected with HIV these days? Is it true that HIV is no more than your average chronic condition? Is the life expectancy different for people with HIV?

The life expectancy for HIV positive people is pretty much the same as for anyone else, if you are to believe the European studies that have been done into this. Don't underestimate the power of the anti-retroviral drugs used to treat HIV patients. People with HIV have pretty good chances now, as long as they receive adequate medical care.

That is what I have heard as well, but I think that is just for people whoa re only HIV + and have not reached the AIDS stage. Would that be correct? If someone already has AIDS, then no amount of medication could help them any more, and their life expectancy would certainly be reduced. Is that true, or am I making a mistake in thinking now?