My problem is at the C4-5 level there is disc bulge associated with a left paracentral disc herniation. After this, I have bilateral facet hypertrophy and prominence of the ligamentum flavum. This causes me a problem of a mild degree of spinal stenosis and ventral cord compression. I think it is important to say there is bilateral neural formanal narrowing by disc material. I am confused, so I would like to hear your opinion about my condition and bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.

I am so sorry, but without examining you and reviewing your films, I cannot make recommendations. It is hard to regard one surgical procedure over another. I cannot tell you if you need only a disectomy and fusion at C4-5, or do you require a multi-level surgery. I encourage you to obtain another opinion from a neurosurgeon that specializes in spines and I am sure he might give you better advice about bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. I could just share with you my experience that was similar. I had a vertebrectomy with two discs removed and fusion, everything done last month. After awhile the orthosurg said if you still need these pain medications, then you need surgery and off course, it was all about bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. My doctor works with an orthosurg and that orthosurg, fortunately, would not operate while seeing pain level off meds. My emergency already shows chronic and active nerve damage, but not enough to warrant the surgery of bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. The surgery is mainly for pain relief, but with no guarantees, it might help.

diagnosed with bilateral neural foraminal stenosis, is there a cure? How should I proceed from here.

thx,
Lynn :-(

Hi I have just had surgery for disc bulge with bilateral foraminal narrowing as I had terrible pains mainly in one leg and my back for about a year. The surgeon has taken away part of my disc at L5 and removed the bulge, clearing away the area around the nerves. So far so good as though I am in some pain through the surgery and my leg is sore I have had none of the sharp pains that I was having previously!! So I feel it has been a success !

Dear Mala,

The MRI finding is probably normal. All people have a certain amount of disc bulging and usually it is not causing neurological problems. Usually the problem is deep in the shoulder. If you are still on this site drop me a line.

Yours, Norsk10