Hi, I suffer from cancer, and I am already having too much chemotherapy. I have to do a bone marrow transplant, because it will make me stronger and able to have more chemotherapy. I need to know some main things about this procedure.

Hi, I had a bone marrow transplant last January. Too much chemotherapy destroyed my bone marrow and stem cells, so I had no choice but to have this procedure. They removed hematopoietic stem cells (HSC) from a doners bone through a large needle. It was infused into my blood stream through an intravenous catheter. After circulating in my blood stream, hematopoietic stem cells stayed in the bone marrow spaces. Once they were settled, they started growing and producing blood cells. Bone marrow produces red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. It usually takes couple of weeks for HSC to normalize the blood cell counts.