My son is 13 and he had some problems with his health. Recently doctors told me that he is anemic. This scared me a lot because he told me that my son has aplastic anemia. I would like to know more about anemia.

I understand that you are worried about your son. The god thing is that he was properly diagnosed. Anemia is one of the more common blood disorders. It occurs when the number of healthy red blood cells decreases in the body. Red blood cells contain hemoglobin, a unique molecule that carries oxygen to the body's tissues. Anemia occurs for different reasons like: increased destruction (break down) of red blood cells, increased blood loss from the body, inadequate production of red blood cells by the bone marrow etc. Aplastic anemia occurs when the bone marrow is unable to produce sufficient numbers of blood cells, just like in the case of your son. It is caused by a virus infection or exposure to certain toxic chemicals, radiation, or medications, such as antibiotics, antiseizure or cancer medications. As long as your son is under supervision of his doctor, I am sure that he will be ok.