I've been so happy to be able to run again, even on this modified plan, but I've run into some trouble.

About 10 minutes into a run, I start to cough. Just a little, sort of a throat-clearing. That becomes more frequent. Then about 20 minutes in, I feel like some (sorry for the graphics but this is important) mucous or some saliva is in the way back of my throat, too deep to spit out, and it's almost like it's cutting off my ability to breathe. If I stop running and get a cold drink of water, it lessens considerably and I can go on for another little while, enough to finish.

It doesn't feel like asthma b/c I don't feel it in my chest, and it happens whether I use some Albuterol before a run or not.

Anybody have any ideas on what it is and how to deal? Thanks.

Seasonal allergies maybe?

Now that the humidity has gone down. It could have triggered Exercise-Induced Asthma.

Your starting to fast. Slow it down or get a better warm up. Sometimes the harder breathing irritates the throat and the mucas is used to coat the sore throat.

Try warming up a little more or slowing down a bit in the beginning.

Has the weather changed lately? the colder weather will do it more than anything.

Sheldon

Try drinking more water during the day before you run, to keep that flem thin.

it may very well be EIA. It is tough to dx a mild case. I've been studie 2x one said yes, the other maybe. I do know that I definitely get cold-induced and it is usually worse when I'm finished and indoors. I can't stop coughing....and too, it's not a chest cough...just in the back of the throat like a tickle. don't really know what helps....it sure ain't albuterol.

Do you rhythm breathe? I think forming a pattern helps if it isn't asthma.

I have found that running at a lower speed helps a lot. I hardly cough now, and don't feel so plegmy.

:1:
It sounds like seasonal allergies combined with EIA. I used to get the same sort of symptoms all of the time when I lived in a colder climate. Not so fun. Hot steamy showers and hot teas helped after the fact, but it was annoying while it happened, and uncomfortable. Good Luck!

apparently 1000mg of vitamin C prior to excericse can help against EIA, so I started keeping a chewable vitamin C in my mouth while I ran. dont chew or actively suck on it, just let it sit,

eventially I ran out, so now I carry wine gums or scotch mints in my pocket and suck on them (they can last 2-3 kms per scotch mint, if you dont work on it too hard). it keeps your mouth and airways moist and I find really helps my breathing.