My 8 yr old son has been yawning and taking big breaths but complaining that he is not getting enough air. I thought it may be anxiety related so showed him how to slow deep breath in the nose out the mouth. This made it worse he said when he breaths out his throat tickles and makes him cough. We went to Dr he could not find anything. I am worried that i may be treating this as anxiety when its actually something else.

Ps he takes these deep breath breaths in maybe 5 or 6 times an hour, why does he feel he's not getting enough air

It could be asthma. My son first started getting asthma at 8. You need to get a spirometry test done. It should be available at your doctors clinic. It is a simple and fairly definitive test and most kids are happy to do it. Where I live it is carried out by a practice nurse, overseen by a doctor. Don't delay in getting this done. You at least want to rule it out because left untreated it can be life threatening. With my youngest son asthma first showed up as gasping for breath and not having enough air. With my first son the onset was really fast and very scary. He suddenly couldnt talk or breathe. Go back to your doctor and insist on getting spirometry done. Asthma can be controlled but you don't want to miss it. All the best

Thanx sally i will do that i wasn't aware asthma could develop later on in childhood

Hi Renae, I didn't know that either until it happened. I was really surprised when he was diagnosed. But his symptoms were the same as your son. And completely different from his brother's. Good luck with this. It may not be asthma, but at least you'll have peace of mind if you rule it out. And if it is asthma the medications are pretty good these days. My kids aren't prevented from doing anything because of it. We just need to be mindful and make sure they have their preventers and always carry their ventolin. Take care