Hi there, I have asthma (very controlled) & I am fit and healthy. I started to get the symptoms of disordered breathing (shortness of breathe, yawning) after a chest infection. I went to the doctors and had a chest x-ray, all clear. Then a heart scan, fine. Blood pressure was high and I felt anxious.

Thankfully, I was referred to a respiratory specialist who diagnosed me with a disordered pattern of breathing. The specialist referred me to a breathing physiotherapist. I had my first session today. I am retraining myself to breathe, by closing my mouth, breathing through my nose & making my stomach rise (no shallow top chest breathing).
The physiotherapist said it will take time & to be patient. At least I know what it is now & I am doing some breathing exercises every day.
Good luck to other disordered breathers. I hope this is helpful to someone else.

I have had a persistant cough for nearly 30 years and have been to several specialists and have had almost all the medications for COPD and asthma and have had nothing that seems to help. Would like to know more about the breathing exercises and how they help.

Hi, the book I have read is called Dynamic Breathing - How to manage your asthma, By Tania Clifton-Smith and Dinah Bradley.

I do not have a cough, but my chest feels very tight, due to shallow upper chest breathing. The book has entries from other people who have disordered breathing and asthma.

I go to a breathing physiotherapist every 3 weeks. The first visit to do an assessment & then to see how I am breathing & to correct the way I breathe.

All the best - hope this helps.