okay, i know i'm all new at this "running" thing, this being my first actual day and all. but i discovered today that it wasn't my legs that wanted to give out, it was my lungs. does anyone else have a problem with being able to breathe during and after running? my lungs felt like they were on fire. quite frankly, i didn't like it! if anyone has any suggestions about what to do, i would greatly appreciate them! thanks!

Question: What's the weather like? If it's as cold as it is here, that is a large part of your problem.
Another thought is: you are new to this...your body is going to take some time to adapt to the stress you are putting on it. Mixing running and walking is a good way to break into the sport.
Start slowly run for a few minutes and then walk. Do it on a schedule. Then as time goes on...and your body adjusts...run for longer periods..walk for less...and you will work yourself into "running shape".
Congrats to you for starting a great thing!
:coach:

Welcome BruFan!

lots of people are bothered by breathing cold dry air -- it can feel like it's burning as you say. i run in cold temps but don't seem to have that painful lung thing happening.

What Coach said and welcome to running. take it slow and stay a good long while!

I think your lungs need more conditioning than your legs. Your legs are probably in better running shape than you think, while your lungs may be lagging. It will improve, no worries!

I found when I first started running I always had "lung issues" before my legs wore out. As time has gone by my lungs improved greatly and now my legs can't keep up! It is a good feeling when that happens, you feel like all that you are doing is really making a difference. Congrats on beginning running! :wavey:

Don't laugh, but what helped my breathing issues--i.e. not being able to--was crosstraining on a stationary bike. Just doing a couple of hard miles on the bike in the evening really helped my breathing stamina.

Sometimes, during a run I have to force myself to slow my breathing down--kind of like "centering yourself". It works, too.

BruFan------

I had extreme lung problems running yesterday. I was diagnosed with mild cold induced asthma years ago when I first started running....but never really had a problem after the first season of running....until yesterday. I'm hoping that yesterday was a freaky atmospheric thing that caused problems for me. I always have alot of moisture in my lungs in winter running and have to spit alot......but yesterday it felt like someone was sitting on my chest.

Your lungs feeling like they are fire...though....sounds like you were running indoors????? maybe it's dry air. I've had those problems running on indoor tracks. Never had any problems on indoor treadmills though :x

Congrats on your starting to run.
I started running in late July/early August of this year and remember it vividly :umno:

Yes, your lungs hurt.

What finally happened...
I slowed my running down and after a month or 2 of consistant running my lungs were more able to handle it. (Like the others said above) That's all part of the cardiovascular/pulmonary training you do.

Last night I went out for 4 miles and really didn't get too winded at all but my legs wanted to. (quite the change feom running 30 seconds/walking 90 seconds)

Also, when I first started, I had a several bouts of bronchitis. These old smokers lungs (even though I had quit months before) just couldn't take it. As a matter of fact, I am trying to fight off getting bronchitis again.

thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. and, yeah, i did forget to mention that i was outdoors and it's cold here in iowa.

Welcome! :wavey:

You've gotten great advice from everyone already. I might add to make sure you are running slow, very slow. When you first start out, you shouldn't worry about speed. That will help you control your breathing a bit, and make it slightly more enjoyable for you. Stick with it, it does get easier!!

Dittos.. the times I get sidelined, it's back to square one with getting winded once I start back up. Only a few weeks and you'll be breathing fine and your legs will be hollering for mercy :o

I think almost everyone who has started up running has run into the same problem. When I started I had to do the walk for awhile run for a while until my lungs could handle running full time. Just keep at it and within a week or 2 you should be good to go!

It might help if you post how you did each day and track it in a personal log so you can see that you are getting better and able to run longer.

I hope this helps.