So I had bronchitis about a month and a half ago, which came with a tight chest and heavy breathing especially when i would lie down. I took antibiotics for 5 days and at the end, the only thing that went away was the throat pain. There was still alot of loose phlegm coming up. Chest tightness stayed. My breathing has become progressively worse so my doctor gave me a breathing test with an albuterol treatment. He said it helped my breathing on the test, but i did not feel as though it did. He diagnosed me with asthma and prescribed an albuterol inhaler. I use the inhaler every four hours and it DOES NOT HELP! My breathing is horrible.. I have to yawn to catch a full breath and it gets worse when i eat. I've had food come up my throat every time i eat and chest pains/diaphragm pains. I think i have acid reflux. Could this be making it worse? Or could this be the only problem? Could i still have lingering bronchitis without him realizing? I sneeze quite often lately, could it be allergies to my cats or NEW ferrets? I don't believe it's asthma because the inhaler does not noticably help and i do not wheeze/cough. I only have a heavy chest and trouble breathing(Throat seems to be closing up) . Please someone HELP ME?!?! :(

Hi Brandy,

Yes, it sounds like you may have acid reflux.  It can aggravate (make worse) your symptoms.

Bronchitis and asthma are both airway diseases.  In bronchitis, the bronchioles are inflamed, in asthma the airways are inflamed.  So virtually identical.  They can sound similar when listening depending upon where the inflammation is.

Do you smoke?  Live in a house with a smoker?  That can aggravate both of these.

Did this just start after your bronchitis?

You may want to see a pulmonogist instead of your regular doctor.  This is their area of expertise.  Be sure to tell them about the acid reflux.

Hope it helps.

I use to smoke for about a year then i quit when i got bronchitis.. yes people still smoke here and i have animals. Weird news though is.. i woke up today with a horrible sore throat so maybe my bronchitis did stay ! And acid reflux can make breathing difficult? If so that may answer my problems, thanks for answering !

And yes the chest tightness and occasional chest pains stayed after the bronchitis supposedly "Went away" but the breathing has become worse as of late with CONSTANT yawning but now not sure if what i woke up with this morning is bronchitis again or just a small cold. It does feel like my lungs hurt, Especially when i cough.

Sometimes bronchitis can lead to pneumonia. It can cause a heavy chest and some chest pains.

Your doctor needs to listen to your lungs. Possibly and x-ray may be required.

I will tell him that i am having a sore throat again maybe he'll look more into it. Thank you for your answers.

Good luck Brandy.

Please keep us updated.

Thank you very much. Went to the ER and he says i have a sinus infection. I have a doctors appointment and i will tell him i am having acid reflux, hopefully he will set up a visit with a pulmonologist. You've given me a source of relief for sure, i appreciate it !

You're welcome.

Glad they found the sinus infection. They can make you feel miserable as you're finding.

Good luck.