I'm very new to running and body building in general. I've never had much luck with running. In high school they made us run a mile and I didn't like it at all. Mostly because when I run my throat just gets really cold. It's not REALLY bad but enough to bother me a great deal. Indoors on a tred mill I can run a little over a mile at a somewhat good pace and not feel this. But tonight I went running and all of a sudden it was there. It's kind of a dry feeling but it feels really cold. The temperature outside wasn't below 70. Any ideas? I want to build up to where I can run 5 or 10 miles without any trouble (So help for buildling endurance up to that would also be nice). So if anyone can help me out I'd be very greatfult.

Hiya, and WELCOME, afipunk:

I wonder if this has something to do with how hydrated you are? Maybe your throat dries out, thus becoming more sensitive to the effort.

When I was in cross country / track, the inside of my lower lip and behind my lower front teeth would have the same sensation. It was almost painful. I finally realized that it didn't happen when I kept my mouth moist.

:shrug: I'm still scratching my head over why it's different when you're outside. Wind or allergens, maybe? :shrug:

It could be that when I'm in the gym I am drinking more water. I usually do my runs after an hour of weight training. So I have easy access to water. But I'll try drinking more water right before I go. And thanks for the welcome. =) Right now my goal is to be able to run 5 miles in around 40 minutes. Thanks for the advice.

I agree, it might be something allergy related.

Never heard of anything like that before

welcome :wavey:

i'd try to stay really well hydrated. are you breathing thru your mouth when you notice this happening?

:1:
Never heard of that before.
Welcome to the board!
:coach:

I've never tried any of that gum I see in the running store, but isn't a dry throat the type of thing that's supposed to help?

My wife said she used to put a piece of grass in her mouth when she ran in high school. Not sure where that came from, and I'm not suggesting it. Sounds screwed up to me.

:wavey: I notice this too. I'm a mouth breather too though. Welcome!

I think it does have to do with mouth breathing. Because that's pretty much what I do. This may sound kinda silly but when I run I have to think about breathing. Making sure it's even. So I'm going to make an effort to drink a little more water and then use my nose a little more. I also think it's a dry throat thing because after the run when I drink water the cold spot gets REALLY cold.

I hard the same problem when i started running. Here some reasons and how i fixed em:

*Sore throat in general
-Be sure to breath in ur nose and out ur mouth slowly. If u breath too fast or through ur mouth only u will get sore

*I get it alot when it is cold, like below 60
-Do a 1/4 mile Jog for warmup and me sure to drink some water b4 u go

*Still persists
-I got a cold or the flu. If it isnt too bad i drink some cough syrup and eat a cough drop about 10 mins b4 i run. If really bad i take a week off.

I started running with a lifesaver. Personally I like mint but I doubt it matters. Made it stop. I guess it made me produce more saliva or something. But my throat no longer feels cold or dry.

Please see answer I found on similar forum, as I also have icy cold throat when running indoors or outdoors after five or so minutes.

Originally Posted by a Hansa D Bhargava, MD, FAAP
Medical Editor, WebMD

"Many people have exercise induced or cold induced asthma. Basically, if you exercise in the cold (running, basketball etc), your lung airways start to contract making them smaller, and therefore making it harder to breathe. This may occur due to chemicals called catecholamines that are release when a person exercises. It usually happens 5-15 minutes after starting,and goes away about 1/2 hour to 2 hours after finishing.

A good way to prevent this is to take albuterol 10 minutes before exercising.

For you, it is important to see the doctor to help diagnose and treat this. If it is exercise/cold induced asthma, the treatment should really help."

It happens to me as well it feels like a block of ice is there