I have had asthma since I was 22 (I'm now 33) On occasion I noticed that I have something in the back of my throat. It almost feels like I'm wheezing to. When I try to cough, I bring up clear jelly-like mucus (usually in the shape of a small ball). Is this something (since I do suffer from asthma) I should be concerned about? I take Albuterol inhaler and Symbicort for my controller. By bringing this mucus up does this mean I'm having an asthma attack? I would appreciate any help I could get. Thank you,.....
~J.

An Asthma attack would mean you cannot breathe as your lungs are constricting. You coughing up globs of mucus likely means you are getting sick

Yes but I noticed when I bring up these "gobs" of mucus I fell I can breathe easier. Does that make sense?

Jason Lanzo wrote:

I have had asthma since I was 22 (I'm now 33) "
Hi Jason, I am 34yrs, and have been coughing since last april, last month i went breathless and doctor told me i have asthma, i have been coughing too, however i have been sipping on hot water through out the day which eases off the cough, i have also stopped taking the powder inhaler (accuhaler) and feel normal. Try having hot water to drink, also try hot water compresses on the chest which sleeping, it helps. Please let me know if you observe any diet restrictions, Doctor has advised me to avoid, oily, cold and not to have oranges, lime etc. My 8yr old son also has been said to have asthma, am really worried too... pls reply
Mg

Go to a gastroenteroligist and have a gastroscopy done. Sound like you might have what I have a hiatus hernia that is putting acid into my esophogus which in turn in aggrivating my sinuses causes a lot of post nasal drip and sticy clear mucus. Apparently, this mucus is coming down from sinuses to protect the esophagus from the acid. At least that is what I'm reading and what the doctors are implying. Have seen ENT and stomach specialist and we're treating the hiatus hernia .. for the coughing up jelly like stuff. Hope this helps ... Stay away from processed foods high in acid, fried foods, and wheat products. Help lessen the production of mucus.

It could be to with yeast starting to over grow and the body is trying to get rid of it so it doesn't tax the system. To test if you have yeast overgrowth in the digestive tract, take a glass of clean pure water (not tap water!) and (not after you've just brushed your teeth!) Spit in a glass and leave it next to your bed overnight. If the spit has 'grown' or 'grown strings' then it's yeast... You will want to buy a fungicidal yeast killer at a decent dose... and cut it out of your diet.. do the treatments and don't forget to take some natural milk thistle tablets to help clean out your liver and some activated charcoal to get rid of any by-products the havoc has caused....I really hope this helps... I am still on my journey to recovery too, almost there.. unfortunately the medical system has played no part in my recovery so i can only give you what i've learned.

Also try fresh lemon juice in water, and also Pineapple juice helps too (the bromelian in it) -- to break down the cellular wall of the jelly-mucuos-like yeast.

I have had asthma since I was 10 and now i am 22 and i already concerned with doctor but then also there is no any fixed solution . Can anyone help me for the same

It is common with patient in long standing asthma.

same thing happens to me. It's not like coughing up phlegm during a cold. These little globs shoot right up to the roof of my mouth when I cough. Usually towards the end of the afternoon I notice the mucous increasing and I feel like I have to try to get it up. Goes along with asthma, I believe. I think that just because we are on medication to keep inflammation down, the asthma itself is still present and these globs are a symptom even when we can breath.

I have this, too! Doctors (x3!) gave me an alternative diagnosis - your lungs naturally produce moisture (it's needed for optimum breathing) & some people 'produce' varying amounts. People that produce lower mounts than needed are the ones you know using a humidifier & obviously those at middle of the range are fine! Now, for me, my system generates WAY TOO MUCH (& YES, I've had the gastroscopy) - heck, I've got a blockage with my left lung/bronchial tubing, which equates to Violent coughing [my wife & daughters say I sound like a Cancer patient!] & Daily globs of phlegm (thick, tan colored to yellow-ish!) being expelled. I'm taking Symbiot (2-puffs x2/day) now in the hopes it will clear, along w/ a steroid regimen ~ 'fingers crossed.' Of course, your problem could be from any number of differing causes. This is simply one view to try to help! Good Luck! BTW, I'm a Disabled Vet (Army MI Officer type) & this info is via the VA Hospital in Augusta, GA. Yes, there are good VA Hospitals, just as with everything...the good & the bad!

I have the same thing. But no asthma ever. I do have shortness of breath from years ago being a smoker (chronic bronchitis - undiagnosed). And I cough up the same every morning of my life, and DO seem to breathe better after, like it was blocking air before the cough. If the mucus is clear it no problem, or pollen or sinus-drip. But if a darker color, you need that checked.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use