Hi, I have a question regarding my friend. He was diagnosed with bronchial asthma. He always had problems breathing. Sometimes, a wheezing sound is heard during his breathing. I was present while he had one of his attacks. I did not know what to do. He was rushed to hospital and stayed there few days. Can you give me some information about bronchial asthma so that I could help my friend the next time he has the attack?

Hi, bronchial asthma is a lung disease. It occurs when tracheobronchial tree overreacts to different stimulants. As a result, bronchial airways constrict allowing very limited gas exchange. This constriction is what causes the wheezing sound while your friend has an asthma attack. It is not quite certain what the exact cause of bronchial asthma is, but exposure to secondhand smoke is one of the most suspected factors that influence the development of this condition. I am very sorry to hear that your friend had to go to the hospital, maybe he had a very serious attack. People who suffer from bronchial asthma usually are able to control the condition with long term control medications and quick relief drugs that are used in acute asthma attack. I hope that your friend feels better soon.