Hello, this is my first visit to the site. I already have a two level fusion at c4/5 c5/6 and now they are advising c3/4. The first two level were done with donor bone grafts and they are recommending a PEEK cage at this level so that it will be free standing and wont need a plate. Has anyone here had a three level of the cervical spine and if so how is your range of motion? I don't really have a choice since the disc is so close to the cord. They say if I fall of have a minor car accident I could stop breathing. I have been having headaches, neck pian, blurred vision and dizziness. In additonal to this myoclonic jerks and lower limb weakness that comes and goes. Any commits? Thanks, Cheryl

Hi. had a 3 level 19 oct 2009. 1 week later and i feel great. Range of motion is a little different, but not much loss. As for you pain and symptoms, i feel ya. I had those for a month before my surgery. Sometimes quite unbearable. Already seen my doc today, and he says everything looks great. I feel great! Your going to worry. I did. But after it's all done, youll have next to none of those symptoms. However, we all are different in our recuperation. Do what YOUR doctor says. Get a 2nd opinion if you must. Im an industrial mechanic, so my job is very heavy duty, but im coping with it. good luck to you in living a pain free life

I already had a bone graft fusion at c4/5 c5/6 so I am wondering with a peek cage at c 3/4 if I will be able to move my head or drive? Do I have to worry about stress bove and below now? This surgeon is my third opinion. He feels that I am a wlaking time bomb if I don;t get it fixed. I trust that, I just worder if a atificial disc would be better than a stand alone cage.

Thanks for wrighting back!

Cheryl

CHeryl, you and I are in the exact same boat, same levels, same scenarios. I had c4/5, c5/6 done in 1993. Now c3/4 is causing all kinds of problems hitting the cord and causing myelopathy so bad I cant button a shirt, turn a door knob, push the brakes or gas, get in or out of a chair, so next wednesday, I'm getting it fixed. I never thought after the first surgery I would ever look forward to doing it again, but I am. I burned my collar after surgery 1 and had a party. I swore I would die before I did that again. Now I can't wait. Its all relative to how you feel. I felt good 4 months post op when the collar came off. Now, 16 yrs later I'm miserable.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! WHat city are you in? They wont do a artificial disk if you have had any fusions on any levels. I already have checked that out many times. Talk to you soon.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that you've been going through that. When did you first get it done? And did you get your surgery? I would like to hear how you're doing. Thanks!

HI, Surgery is Wednesday Nov 4th. 3 days from now. I'll keep you posted. How are you doing? I have an article that was published in the Journal of Spine surgery that shows if C1 and C2 are intact, you have about 50% range of motion. Each level c3-c7 gives about 10%. So, by losing c4/5, c5/6 and then on Wednesday I lose c3/4, that according to the article, is c3, c4, c5, c6 fused. So I will have lost about 40% of my pre-injury range of motion. The doctor said that I will GAIN range of motion because the muscles splint to protect when there is an injury so when the injury is gone (c3) the muscles will loosen up and I will have more range of motion than I do now. Its all so complex. I will be glad to have it behind me! Keep me posted.!

Hello all,
Someone aksed what city I am in....I live in Oklahoma City. I have my third surgery in tulsa though. This thursday will be three weeks post op. Loss of motion is not the major concern. I have been told I have radiculopathy and facet joint damage. I wonder if this is what is causing the muscle loss in my hands. I have bone spurs at c6-8 but its of the back of the vertabrea but these levels are what control the muscles in the hands. I have had muscle loss bilaterally at the same time over a period of 6-9 months. I have had fausiculation in my arms and hands for over a year before the muscle loss started. I had an EMG and NCS back in July the showed moderate c7-8 radiculopathy with NO active denervation and the same for c5-6. How they can say moderate when I am losing muscle in my wrist and hands.

Hi I am about 4 wks post op, mine was on the 4th. I had c3 fused to c4/5, c5/6 which were already done many years ago. On EMG/MRI it shows moderate to severe foraminal stenosis at c6/7 R, c7/t1 L (or maybe I have the L/R reversed but who cares), anyway, I asked the neuro could you fix the foraminal stenosis while you are doing the
fusion of c3 and he said "no, its not done that way. C3 is higher up the spine that c6/7 etc and we may find that this will fix the problems that you thought were coming from that. If not, its easy to do a posterior foraminotomy but its not easy to do it at the same time an anterior fusion/plating is done. So, I litened and I see his point. I hope all of you are healing well. Its slow but steady for me. Thanks