I need to hear some positive experience. I am considering C5-6 fusion and discectomy, but spine surgery scares me to death. I‘ve been hearing horrible stories about spinal fusion. I have tried every type of non-surgical treatment including pain pills, shots, and physical therapy, all with little or no improvement. It seems that day after day, it just gets worse.

For me it was important to be clear about the type of surgery I would undergo. I made a list of questions for my doctor. Listening to his explanation of the procedure left me afraid but also excited at the prospect of living life again. My disc had torn between the L5/S1 regions of my spine and In my case, surgery involved an anterior/posterior fusion. So, maybe this will help with considering your C5-6 fusion and discectomy: The first few weeks I spent the majority of time resting in bed. , but after a few weeks, I gradually increased the length of time spent walking. Walking was the one thing that made me feel better. At seven weeks post-op, I started physical and massage therapy this was the final step toward regaining my life. Now, about six months after my surgery, I noticed a change. After therapy ended, I joined a gym and now work out two to three days a week and walk at least 30-40 minutes daily.

I need to undergo this surgery. I'm very scared. On top of that I can't get a time frame on how long it well be before I can go back to work. I need to work. On the other hand I'm in so much pain. I don't have a life. I use to have a very actitve life now I do nothing. I keep hearing awlful stories about the surgery and the pain that people live with. Does anybody have any advice?

A little background on me: I underwent this surgery in 2005.
Though MRI's show my cervicle spine to be prestigious after surgery I suffer from terrible muscle pain and weakness.
However I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and am currently being tested for MS.
Here are my thoughts to you...
If you are currently in severe pain you most likely need the surgery.
There are some people who do great after having this surgery.
Personally I feel that even if you do not have severe pain like some of us you are going to notice some of the side effects of the surgery. Especially if you try to do heavy lifting or manual labor.
I also feel that having a positive attitude instead of fearing the worst will also help.
As for recovery time..I had a fairly strenuous career and was off work for 2 months. Even then I had restrictions on heavy lifting and doing things above my head.
Another piece of advice for you. This surgery left me feeling pretty rough for a while and I was a physically fit person. So my advice to you is to take it fairly slow and give yourself time to heal. Don't get paranoid if your not back to normal activities in a week or two.

Best of luck with your surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery.