I have a seven month old baby, and am still breastfeeding. Everytime my husband and I have intercourse, I think that I am pregnant. I have heard you can't get pregnant while nursing, but then I have met mothers who have. I have not gotten my period , so I have no way of knowing if I am pregnant or not, other than buying a pregnancy test every two weeks. Can I please get some accurate information.

Yes you can get pregnant while you are breastfeeding, alot of people believe that if you are breastfeeding then you don't ovulate but that is not the case for all women. You can use the mini pill but just be cautious as some of them can interfere with your milk supply. Have a chat to your doctor about it and what pill you can use.

Hello candance, 

Yes, you are being careful for a reason, as sarah said, as well. A woman can get pregnant even if she is breastfeeding, especially since it has been over half a year since the childbirth. You might start ovulating at any point now and this will happen before your period, so you have no easy way of knowing if you ovulated or not.

So, to avoid unnecessary worries, it might be the best to use some form of contraception for a whilw, until your periods get back on track. The pill has proven to be safe, even for breastfeeding women, especially the mini pill, so you might talk with your gynecologist about this, or some other option that suits you better.