Hi. I have a 3 months old baby. I used to smoke pot and I am afraid it will effect on my baby. Can I breastfeed my baby and still smoke the pot? What does second hand smoke from pot do to a baby? Can I smoke in the same room where my baby sleeps?

Hi. THC get stored in your body and slowly releases over time, so it can be transferred through the milk. It can effect on your baby, and if so, you will notice sleepiness in the baby, and slow weight gain. When you breastfeed, some of the marijuana components (THC) will is passed in your milk. THC is more concentrated in your milk than in your blood. It can impair motor development of your child. Second hand smoke, from pot or cigarettes, is never good. It will only increase the amount of the drug your baby receives. However, better continue nursing if you smoke only occasionally. Babies need mother`s milk.

ok look I used to be a big pot smoker. but then I got pregnant and had my baby and it all ended. It isn't good for your baby at all.....and you need to be resposible and quit for your childs sake. I breast feed too and I cant even imagine smoking weed because I know that he will get it. ITS TIME TO QUIT!

WHAT KIND OF MOTHERS ARE YOU THAT YOU WILL SMOKE POT AND NOT CARE THAT YOUR HURTING YOUR BABY!

hi think smocking pot while breast feeding is more dangerous in breast than pregnancy but still stupid to smoke during pregnancy or breast feeding
i smoked cigarettes before my first and second child and quit every time i was pregnant for my baby's sake.

Some people think that somking pot is their choice and that there are no effects on anyone even your baby. But it is one of the most selfish things that you could think or say. Not only dose it effect your child's health but mentaly it pulls them down. Your are not, no matter what you think, in the right state of mind when you are doing drugs and then you try to take care of your child. That is not approite for your child' s growth and davelopment. Their chances of growing up and not being a screw up like their parent is not likely. They have no chance if you don't be a good example to them.

"Drugs and breastfeeding
Drugs of abuse such as cocaine, heroin, amphetamines, hallucinogens pass into the breast milk and can have serious effects on the infant. These drugs should not be taken while breastfeeding.

Occasional exposure to marijuana in the breast milk has not been documented to be harmful to the infant. However, marijuana may be contaminated with other substances that are harmful. Also, marijuana usage has health risks to the mother and her ability to parent may be compromised."

I didnt think that there was anything wrong with asking this question b/c i was wondering it myself. I smoked pot throughout my pregnancy and since my baby has been born i HAVE NOT smoked since i am breastfeeding, but i have wanted to take a lil hit here and there. I'm sure i wont do it since i havent in weeks. However i dont think im a bad person or mother for wanting to know.

Hello this is lilmin303 again, i dont understand some of you guys. Pot is illegal!!! duhh! What would you do if the wrong person found out that knew you and turned you in to Social services?!?! Then im sure you would wake up and get a reallity check! I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and they mean more too me that life itself, i cry when they get a "boo boo" I can't Imagine me risking to hurt them I would feel like i didn't deserve to have my babies. I was 15 years old when I have my first son and even at 15 i knew it was time to grow up, come on!

lilmin303 wrote:

OK, WHEN I READ YOUR QUESTION IT MADE MY BLOOD PRESSURE GO SKY HIGH! WHAT KIND OF MOTHER ARE YOU!!! UMMM DUH IT CAN HURT YOUR BABY!!! AND SMOKING POT IN THE SAME ROOM AS YOUR BABY ITS COMMONSENSE STUPID! IM SORRY BUT THAT PISSES MY OFF BAD! I HOPE YOU GET YOUR BABY TAKEN OFF OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- ok calm down, i hate reading these sites when people are so judgmental and ugly of what other people have to say about what they are doing. keep your shitty comments to yourself!!!!!!

i know smoking kills. But smoking while having a coffee with milk creates any serious issues to health?

Some of you are ridiculous...Do you know how many people smoke pot these days? Plenty of succesful people thats for sure so dont sit there and try and say only loser, irresponsible people smoke. I know PLENTY of people with GREAT jobs and GREAT lives who smoke weed. if you smoke cigs you especially cant judge cuz your an id**t...No offense. Shes asking because she cares....as in...if it does hurt the baby she wont do it. Shes responsible enough to do that so leave her the hell alone if your not going to answer the actual question and your going to just harass her about it. And no I dont smoke pot either...I just think your all judgmental re****s. Get a life...you dont smoke...good for you...preach your c**p somewhere else. Oh and I also think its interesting how most of you who were telling her shes a loser couldnt even spell half the words they wrote...go back to school and get an education before you talk like you know sh*t.

I have been looking this issue up and there are many studies which cannot prove any side effects, some research even says babies exposed to marajuana through breastmilk had faster developmental skills with no brain damage etc. I was a heavy marajuana user before my pregnancy, although I did not quit throughout my pregnancy or breastfeeding which I am still going strong at 7 months - I did cut back on my pot smoking more than 50%, I have not noticed a single thing wrong with my daughter - she was born at 39 and a half weeks, she was a healthy weight and length, she has developed very fast with no side effects, sleeps right through the night since she was born and is the easiest, happiest baby ever! She also has ten fingers and ten toes!!! If mothers want to smoke marajuana then go for it, only you can decide what you do! I also do NOT think my judgement or my mothering has been disabled in any way!!!! I know many great mothers that smoke pot! Maybe marajuana is the only thing that keeps some people sane! On the subject of smoking in the same room, I do not agree with that! I always smoke outside and ALWAYS wash my hands before I touch my baby! A baby should never smell like any kind of smoke! Sometimes I feel guilty about smoking pot, but if you think about look at today's society - now picture it in 15 years. All of your children will probably be smoking marajuana anyways!!! So maybe all you mothers that are beaking this mother that took the time to research what marajuana will do to her child should stop being so anal and PUFF A DOOBIE!!!!!!!

Guest wrote:

Your high blood pressure is obviously the result of ignorance and bigotry. For thousands of people smoking marijauna is a way of life and who are you to judge that? This girl has enough sense to research the issue, like myself, and ask questions about it in order to make the right decision. It does not sound like she intends to smoke in the same room, or start smoking cronically, obviously that would be stupid!
There are much worse ways to harm your child than an occasional drag of a joint, and having a narrow minded, opnionated mother like you could be one of them.

I definitely agree with you on this one. I smoke pot but I know that as soon as I fall pregnant I am going to stop. But after the baby is born.. well that depends. You see, ex addicts can have seriously hard times coping in stressful situations. Having a child is a very stressful thing. No, I don't think its very good to be smoking while you are still breast feeding because that will probibly damage your babys motor skills but if a puff of a joint is going to stop you from being violent towards your child or will stop you from losing control i think you have every right to have that puff.

I smoked several time through my pregancy to calm my stomach and for my back pain. i have now had my baby and wondering the same thing about smoking and breasteeding. I think that its funny that the doctor can perscribe my vicodin, for my pain yet its frowned upon if smoke during breastfeeding. i think that smoking is much healther for you than any perscribed medication. Women drink through there preganacy and while breastfeeding. i believe that drinking is way worst than smoking.