Hello, folks. My kid has been diagnosed with pneumonia which is caused by haemophilus. His doctor recommends amoxicillin as a solution for this problem. I would like to know if this antibiotic is helpful with this bacterium. What do you know about this? I will appreciate all your replies. Bye, folks!

Hello to you too. Haemophilus is a small Gram negative coccobacillus. These bacteria’s infections were frequent before vaccine was introduced. It was in 1988. It can give various diseases. Perhaps the most frequent ones in children are meningitis and epiglottitis. It can also cause pneumonia. I guess that the localization also has an effect which antibiotic will be given. You should consult an expert about this question since it is your kid’s health that we talk about. I hope everything will be fine.

Hello, guys. I have also heard about Haemophilus influenzae. It can cause many infections. Amoxicillin is a first line antibiotic for otitis media caused by these bacteria. Otitis media is a middle ear infection. This antibiotic is safe and it isn’t expensive. If a microorganism produces beta-lactamase that can destroy amoxicillin, then a combination amoxicillin-clavulanate should be given. Clavulanate protects the destruction of amoxicillin from beta-lactamase. I hope this helps. Bye!

Hello, everyone. I have also heard similar things. However, you should know that amoxicillin belongs to a penicillin group. You should check if your kid isn’t allergic to this drug. If this is the case, then he will receive alternatives. Those would be cefaclor or erythromycin-sulfisoxazole. Consult your pediatrician. I hope everything will be all right. Good luck with all! Bye!