My friend has been diagnosed with atypical pneumonia, so I need to know what it means. How they mean atypical, is it the same as pneumonia or not? They told him that he is infected, but he said he doesn't understand how it happened and he wasn't given antibiotics for it.

I never had or I don't know anyone who has it but I know that is pneumonia caused by certain bacteria (Legionella pneumophila, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, and Chlamydophila pneumonia). While atypical pneumonias are commonly associated with milder forms of pneumonia, pneumonia due to Legionella, can be quite severe and lead to high mortality rates. This condition does not respond to the usual antibiotic treatment. I found out about it when I searched about SARS and I read that the deadly SARS virus, which appeared only last year, is a new coronavirus that causes atypical pneumonia.

hi Mendy,

I had atypical pneumonia this year. I was told it was caused by a virus, but I still took antibiotics and they helped. My xrays were normal after my course of abs.
I think atypical pneumonia is much harder to diagnose, also, the cough is different and the lung sounds different when the doctor listens to it my doc told me, otherwise I am not sure in what way it is different from "normal" pneumonia...I had all the problems associated with pneumonia, like cough, breathing problems, chest pain etc.
if you have more questions, please ask...regards, Sabrina