Hello, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with inter cranial brain apces. It is also determined that it is caused by listeriosis. I know something little about this infection, but I am not sure that I know enough. Perhaps, some of you could provide me with more info. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi to you too. Listeria monocytogenes is the name of bacterium that is responsible for listeriosis. It lives in soil and water. So, it is no wonder that it can contaminate vegetables. Animals can also get infected. That is why these bacteria end up in human organism via uncooked meat, uncooked vegetables and unpasteurized milk. This bacterium has tendency towards central nervous system. One of its manifestations is intracranial or brain abscess. This requires an aggressive treatment. I hope your friend is getting it.

Hello. Listeriosis is also characteristic for pregnant women, elderly people and infants. People with weakened immune system are prone to this infection. In general, this is a rare infection. The antibiotic of choice here is ampicillin. Bacteriemia for brain abscess is treated for 6 weeks! As you can see, this is a serious condition. You can consult your friend’s doctor for more details. I hope he’ll be all right. Bye!

Hi, guys. Listeria can indeed give cause some problems. It has an affinity to central nervous system. Besides brain abscess, it can also cause meningitis, encephalitis and meningoencephalitis. Treatment requires antibiotics. They should be given promptly. In some cases, this lasts for 6 weeks. I hope we’ve helped here. Bye! Good luck to him!