Hello, folks. My friend’s father has been diagnosed with listeriosis infection. I am afraid that I haven’t heard about this infection before. I would like to know how many weeks are needed for the therapy of this infection. I will really appreciate all your replies considering this. Thanks for all your replies.

Hello to you too. Listeriosis is caused by bacterium called Listeria monocytogenes. This bacterium lives in water and soil. It easily contaminates food, but infects animals as well. People with weakened immune system are usually prone to this infection. That is why the treatment usually last little longer. I am not sure how long it is. Your friend should consult his father’s doctor for more details. I hope everything will be fine. Bye!

Hi. The duration of the treatment depends on several factors. One of these factors is the localization of the infection. For instance, brain abscess is treated for at least 6 weeks! Pregnant women are treated for 2 weeks. Newborns are treated for two to three weeks. Adults who have mild infection are being treated for 2 to 4 weeks. A person with meningitis is treated for 3 weeks. If a person has endocarditis, then he/she is treated for 6 weeks. I hope this helps.

Hi, there. My grandfather was diagnosed with listeriosis. He was receiving ampicillin and gentamycin. He was hospitalized. As far as I understand, in this case hospitalization is required. He had meningitis, so he was treated for 3 weeks. I hope your friend’s father will be all right. Please, let me know if you need more info. Good luck! Bye!