Hello, folks. I have a small kid who has been diagnosed with Haemophilus pneumonia. I know that this bacterium can cause meningitis as well. I would like to know id rifampycin can be used as prevention for meningitis for kids. What can you tell me about this? I will appreciate all your replies.

Hello to you too. Meningitis is a dangerous infection and should be prevented. I think the best way to prevent it is active immunization. Of course, this is valid if your kid has no symptoms at all. Since your kid has been diagnosed with haemophilus, then he should receive antibiotics. I am not sure which one he can receive. Maybe you should consult his doctor for this. Maybe someone else here will have more info. Good luck with all! Bye!

Hi, everyone. Maybe I can be of some assistance. My friend’s kid had meningitis. Rifampycin or rifampin should not be given to kids. It is prohibited for children younger than 16. It is also not recommended for pregnant women. You should consult your pediatrician for more details. I guess your kid is getting his antibiotics for pneumonia. I hope I’ve helped a little. Bye!

Hello, guys. I also have a friend whose kid was diagnosed with meningitis. I have heard that rifampin or rifampycin is not good for kids. It shows a lot of side effects. I guess this is one of the reasons why it is prohibited. I have also heard that a vaccine is not efficient for all bacteria that could cause meningitis. Consult your pediatrician for more info. He must fill you in with details. Please, let me know if you find out something new. Bye!